This Week’s University Feature: Xavier

If you’re into college basketball, then at some point, you’ve definitely wondered what it means to be a student at Xavier University. Well, wonder no more, because GoMuskies16 shares with us today what it means to be a student at Xavier!

Founded: 1831

Location: Cincinnati, OH

Religious Affiliation: Roman Catholic (Jesuit)

Size: Medium

Undergraduate Students: 4,633

Campus Setting: Campus is located 5 minutes outside of downtown Cincinnati in an urban neighborhood.

Major traditions

Attend Xavier basketball games

Since Xavier University does not have a football team like many big schools, our campus becomes very alive for basketball games. Our arena, the Cintas Center, usually sells out for home games at its full capacity of 10,250 fans including a very lively student section. The $46 million arena opened in June of 2000 and is one of the nicest college basketball arenas in the country. It is located right in the middle of campus, very close to the dorms so students can get tickets easily and walk to games in minutes.

If you are a die-hard fan and want to get front row seats, you better be prepared to go early! Students flock to these games all trying to get the best seats in the house. Before the game starts, there are fireworks and balls of flames in the sky, while the lineups are being announced. The moment the music starts playing and the fireworks start shooting out, you can almost feel like a part of the action. In the Big East conference road wins are very hard to come by, so being part of the student section to support our team is an integral part of being an Xavier student. It is a big part of why our home record is nearly perfect year in and year out.

Read on and find out what other traditions there are!

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring English teacher.
Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!
uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Junior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...