Top 10 Things You Won’t Miss From High School

Can’t wait to get to college?  You’re not alone.  Kaitlyn, a student at Oxford Academy, created a list of the 10 biggest gripes of high schoolers, which you definitely won’t miss when you go to college. 

1. Cliques

Whether it’s the popular people, the jocks, or the drama “dorks”, most people don’t like their high school categorization. Get ready to enjoy a life where everyone is fed-up with cliques and very few exist.

2. Dress code

Short shorts are shorts, and that one inch seriously matters when the principal walks by. Who’s excited for casual clothing and freedom?!

3. Detention

Thirty minutes of homework time in a quiet room is for third-graders. Detention is the life of the high school kid, and being an adult means you get to escape that tiny room.

4. Required parent signatures

How many trips have you missed because you needed a parent signature? Now you’ll be responsible for yourself - more responsibility, but can be SO nice.

5. Standardized tests

Proficient scores versus advanced scores shouldn’t determine your life. And now they won’t be in your life!

6. Physical Education classes

Getting all sweaty in rotten clothes that don’t fit is not for you. (Unless you major in Physical Education, which is something most people can’t even imagine.)

7. Small campus

It’s a two-second walk across concrete to your next class in high school. Basically jail.

8. Lack of school pride

Cheering for your lame mascot suddenly has a whole new meaning in college. People actually - get this - care. Get ready for cheering fans all around at school games!

9. Busy work

Long projects are in. Busy work is out. No more staying up late because you forgot that one-half page assignment.

10. Lockers

Dingy. Smelly. Dirty. Infested. Beaten up. Small. Who wants them? Dorms > Lockers.

Hello! I'm a Freshman at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School. I plan on concentrating in finance, marketing and social impact. In high school I was active in LGBTQ advocacy and music. I can help with any questions you have about admissions
VivienneEve23

Accepted to UC Berkeley, Brown, Claremont (CMC), Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Northwestern, Pomona, Stanford, San Diego, Vanderbilt, UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly, Cal Poly Pomona, Washington

UC Berkeley Class of 2020
extreana
Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.

UCLA Class of 2020. Orange County native.