Top 10 Things You Won’t Miss From High School

Can’t wait to get to college?  You’re not alone.  Kaitlyn, a student at Oxford Academy, created a list of the 10 biggest gripes of high schoolers, which you definitely won’t miss when you go to college. 

1. Cliques

Whether it’s the popular people, the jocks, or the drama “dorks”, most people don’t like their high school categorization. Get ready to enjoy a life where everyone is fed-up with cliques and very few exist.

2. Dress code

Short shorts are shorts, and that one inch seriously matters when the principal walks by. Who’s excited for casual clothing and freedom?!

3. Detention

Thirty minutes of homework time in a quiet room is for third-graders. Detention is the life of the high school kid, and being an adult means you get to escape that tiny room.

4. Required parent signatures

How many trips have you missed because you needed a parent signature? Now you’ll be responsible for yourself - more responsibility, but can be SO nice.

5. Standardized tests

Proficient scores versus advanced scores shouldn’t determine your life. And now they won’t be in your life!

6. Physical Education classes

Getting all sweaty in rotten clothes that don’t fit is not for you. (Unless you major in Physical Education, which is something most people can’t even imagine.)

7. Small campus

It’s a two-second walk across concrete to your next class in high school. Basically jail.

8. Lack of school pride

Cheering for your lame mascot suddenly has a whole new meaning in college. People actually - get this - care. Get ready for cheering fans all around at school games!

9. Busy work

Long projects are in. Busy work is out. No more staying up late because you forgot that one-half page assignment.

10. Lockers

Dingy. Smelly. Dirty. Infested. Beaten up. Small. Who wants them? Dorms > Lockers.

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.

Tulane ‘20

elewal

Accepted to Brown, Cornell, CMU, Wesleyan, William & Mary, Case, Villanova, Binghamton, RPI, WPI

Hi! I'm a sophomore at Brown University studying Biochemistry and English. I love writing, baking, hiking, and music.

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...