Top Ten Frustrations of High School Students

Are you a high schooler who just CAN’T wait to get to college? You’re not alone.  Cameron is a current high school senior, who told us about her top ten frustrations with high school - we are sure that any high school student can relate!

1. When all your teachers assign a lot of homework on the same night: You know how it goes. Your first teacher tells you that you can do 2 hours of homework tonight. Which would be true and fair if all your other teachers hadn’t gotten the exact same idea, and now you have to figure out how to get 14 hours of homework done without the use of a Time Turner.

2. When other kids dawdle in the halls during passing period: You just want to get to class on time, but there’s an impenetrable wall of ten students ahead of you moving with all the speed and vigor of the average snail. Trying to shoulder your way through does nothing.

3. When lunch lines are way too long: You’ve been here for ten minutes, but the line seems to stretch for eternity. Your legs ache. Your backpack drags you down. You begin to wonder if time is actually passing, or if you’ll be stuck here forever. The line inches forwards bit by bit, but the counter is as far away as ever.

4. Binder and notebook checks: Look, you have a very delicate system of organization, in which you shove all your papers in your backpack and eventually drag them out later, crinkled and smudged. But your teachers demand you keep them sorted and neat, and now your grade is dropping as if it’s affected by gravity.

5. When teachers don’t round your grades: You have an 89.99999, but the teacher is unmoved by your pleas. Your parents demand to know why you didn’t get straight A’s. 

6. Pop Quizzes: Your blood turns cold. A shiver runs down your spine. “This isn’t worth much, is it?” you timidly ask, trying to hide the terror in your eyes. The teacher stares back at you, cold and distant. “As much as a normal quiz” they respond. Nothing can save you now.

7. When you aren’t allowed to go to the bathroom: There isn’t enough time during passing period, but your teacher has no sympathy for you. The teacher then of course shows a video of Niagara Falls. You scream into your hand.

8. When someone else in the class acts out and the whole class is punished: “This wouldn’t stand in a court of law” you think bitterly as the teacher assigns a ten page essay on how to behave in class, on top of your homework. The teacher senses your rebellious thoughts and gives you a test on top of everything else.

9. When teachers assign a ton of work over the break: You wonder if teachers understand the meaning of the word “break” or “vacation”. You consider leaving a dictionary on their desks with the words helpfully underlined, but decide against it for fear of retribution.

10. Assemblies: While it’s nice to get out of class early, you dread assemblies. You’re packed in like sardines. It’s sweltering hot. You have some random strangers sweat slowly soaking into your thigh. People are screaming at you to get excited. You sneakily check your phone. An entire hour has passed for you, but your phone says it’s been five minutes. 

Frustrated by something that isn’t on the list? Leave a comment below.  

SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)
rodmoretti

Accepted to Columbia, GA Tech, Northwestern, Princeton, UGA

As a part of Princeton Class of 2019, I know how difficult the application process is...I got denied, accepted, and wait-listed to several places. Let me help you find your path to success!