UC Application Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Are you considering applying to one of the UC schools? UC schools are known for being one of the best state school systems available, regardless if you’re an in-state or out-of-state student. To apply, here are the UC essay prompts you can expect. 

Students choose 4 out of the 8 total UC essay prompts and respond with 350-word answers. The prompts were updated as recently as last year, so we can anticipate no change for the 2017-2018 application season. UPDATE: No major changes to the essay prompts this year! Just more details in essay prompt 6 & 8.

Here are the UC Essay Prompts for 2017-2018:

1. Leadership experience

Describe an example of your leadership experience in which you have positively influenced others, helped resolve disputes or contributed to group efforts over time.
  1. Creative expression

Every person has a creative side, and it can be expressed in many ways: problem solving, original and innovative thinking, and artistically, to name a few. Describe how you express your creative side.
Check out these recommended successful UC applications!
  1. Talent or special skill

What would you say is your greatest talent or skill? How have you developed and demonstrated that talent over time?

2. Overcoming educational barrier

Describe how you have taken advantage of a significant educational opportunity or worked to overcome an educational barrier you have faced.

3. Overcoming significant challenge

Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to overcome this challenge. How has this challenge affected your academic achievement?

4. Academic inspiration

Think about an academic subject that inspires you. Describe how you have furthered this interest inside and/or outside of the classroom.

Want to go to the UCs? Unlock this profile to read more!

Want to go to the UCs? Unlock this package to read more!

1. Bettering the community

What have you done to make your school or your community a better place?

2. What makes you special?

Beyond what has already been shared in your application, what do you believe makes you stand out as a strong candidate for admissions to the University of California?

Are you planning to apply to University of California schools? Or you must just be starting the process of building your college list. Make sure to search through profiles of students accepted. Read full essays, stats, and student advice. See how our students got in, and how you can too!

Iron_Man
UC Berkeley

Accepted to UC Berkeley, UCLA, Northwestern, UMich

I'm a Jewish, volunteering, music writing and playing, MMA fighting, Berkeley bound student who puts my all into everything I do.
tanvu32
UC Berkeley

Accepted to CSULB, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UCSB

I am a gay Vietnamese guy attending UC Berkeley this fall with a major in Economics and minor in film.
UC Berkeley

Kaitlyn_Albers
UC Berkeley

Accepted to UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, UCSD, Cal Poly, SDSU, UCSB

UC Berkeley Class of 2019 graduate working in the biotechnology industry as a Research and Development Associate for a drug stability testing company.