University Connections and Summer Plans

When choosing a college, it’s important to consider what you want to do for a career, and how each school can help you get there. Here, Makena, a freshman at UPenn’s Wharton School discusses her impressive summer plans and how she utilizes her alumni network!

This summer I will be interning with Dagne Dover, a retail start-up company located in the Garment District of New York City. I will be an Operations and Finance intern, working directly under the COO/CFO doing mainly business analytics and retail forecasting.  This is huge for my career - the company was just named Wharton’s #2 start-up to watch and is making huge waves in the retail industry, and they usually only hire older students as interns!  I was lucky enough to be hired as only a rising sophomore.  I will be working with and learning from people with experience at huge retail and finance companies, and will be gaining hands-on knowledge and experience in the retail and operations space.  This will make me more attractive to future employers and will ultimately catapult me into another great retail and operations internship next summer.  Plus, I get to do work that I am really passionate about!

Going to Wharton has opened up innumerable opportunities to me with regards to internships.  The Alumni Network is incredible; Wharton grads know and trust Wharton students and so whenever you interview with them you automatically have a leg up.  I actually found my internship by searching companies that match my interests, and just emailing the CEO asking if there were any openings.  It turns out that two of the three co-founders graduated from Wharton, and they hire nearly all Wharton interns.  Additionally, the Career Services Office offers incredible resources to all students, such as extensive job listings, On Campus Recruiting by some of the best companies in the world, and personalized career appointments. A year ago, I had no idea what I would do during my summer, but with the guidance of the Career Services Office and a little self-exploration of various industries, I have found an amazing internship and I can’t wait!

Check out Makena’s AdmitSee Profile to read more about her!

youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!
VivienneEve23

Accepted to UC Berkeley, Brown, Claremont (CMC), Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Northwestern, Pomona, Stanford, San Diego, Vanderbilt, UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly, Cal Poly Pomona, Washington

UC Berkeley Class of 2020
ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!