University Connections and Summer Plans

When choosing a college, it’s important to consider what you want to do for a career, and how each school can help you get there. Here, Makena, a freshman at UPenn’s Wharton School discusses her impressive summer plans and how she utilizes her alumni network!

This summer I will be interning with Dagne Dover, a retail start-up company located in the Garment District of New York City. I will be an Operations and Finance intern, working directly under the COO/CFO doing mainly business analytics and retail forecasting.  This is huge for my career - the company was just named Wharton’s #2 start-up to watch and is making huge waves in the retail industry, and they usually only hire older students as interns!  I was lucky enough to be hired as only a rising sophomore.  I will be working with and learning from people with experience at huge retail and finance companies, and will be gaining hands-on knowledge and experience in the retail and operations space.  This will make me more attractive to future employers and will ultimately catapult me into another great retail and operations internship next summer.  Plus, I get to do work that I am really passionate about!

Going to Wharton has opened up innumerable opportunities to me with regards to internships.  The Alumni Network is incredible; Wharton grads know and trust Wharton students and so whenever you interview with them you automatically have a leg up.  I actually found my internship by searching companies that match my interests, and just emailing the CEO asking if there were any openings.  It turns out that two of the three co-founders graduated from Wharton, and they hire nearly all Wharton interns.  Additionally, the Career Services Office offers incredible resources to all students, such as extensive job listings, On Campus Recruiting by some of the best companies in the world, and personalized career appointments. A year ago, I had no idea what I would do during my summer, but with the guidance of the Career Services Office and a little self-exploration of various industries, I have found an amazing internship and I can’t wait!

Check out Makena’s AdmitSee Profile to read more about her!

SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...

Cornell University Welcomes 1,533 Students to the Class of 2022

Universities share record-breaking statistics every year when it comes to college applications and this year was no different at Cornell University. Cornell University continued to break two different records three years in a row. Earlier...