University Connections and Summer Plans

When choosing a college, it’s important to consider what you want to do for a career, and how each school can help you get there. Here, Makena, a freshman at UPenn’s Wharton School discusses her impressive summer plans and how she utilizes her alumni network!

This summer I will be interning with Dagne Dover, a retail start-up company located in the Garment District of New York City. I will be an Operations and Finance intern, working directly under the COO/CFO doing mainly business analytics and retail forecasting.  This is huge for my career - the company was just named Wharton’s #2 start-up to watch and is making huge waves in the retail industry, and they usually only hire older students as interns!  I was lucky enough to be hired as only a rising sophomore.  I will be working with and learning from people with experience at huge retail and finance companies, and will be gaining hands-on knowledge and experience in the retail and operations space.  This will make me more attractive to future employers and will ultimately catapult me into another great retail and operations internship next summer.  Plus, I get to do work that I am really passionate about!

Going to Wharton has opened up innumerable opportunities to me with regards to internships.  The Alumni Network is incredible; Wharton grads know and trust Wharton students and so whenever you interview with them you automatically have a leg up.  I actually found my internship by searching companies that match my interests, and just emailing the CEO asking if there were any openings.  It turns out that two of the three co-founders graduated from Wharton, and they hire nearly all Wharton interns.  Additionally, the Career Services Office offers incredible resources to all students, such as extensive job listings, On Campus Recruiting by some of the best companies in the world, and personalized career appointments. A year ago, I had no idea what I would do during my summer, but with the guidance of the Career Services Office and a little self-exploration of various industries, I have found an amazing internship and I can’t wait!

Check out Makena’s AdmitSee Profile to read more about her!

uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Senior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars

Ryanh914

Accepted to American, Cornell, Northwestern, Florida, Ohio State, FSU, UNC

UNC '18 from Charlotte, NC.

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...