University of Pennsylvania Received Over 40,000 Applications This Year

University of Pennsylvania received a significant increase in applications this year, surpassing the 40,000 mark and growing the applicant pool by almost 4%.

A total of 40,413 applications were submitted to UPenn’s admissions office, and only 9.2% of applicants, or 3,699 students were accepted. The increase in applications explains the 0.2% decline in acceptance rate, especially when the university accepted 41 more students.

University of Pennsylvania is expecting 2,445 students for the Class of 2021. About 55% of those seats are already filled by the 1,354 students who were admitted Early Decision, a program that is binding for accepted students. The university also reported an increase in early applicants and accepted 22% of applicants. Regular decision is much more competitive with a larger applicant pool and an acceptance rate of 6.8%. Out of the 34,266 regular applicants, 2,345 were accepted.

Additionally, 13% of UPenn’s newly admitted class are legacy students, while another 14% are the first in their family to attend college. UPenn partners with many non-profit organizations, like QuestBridge and SteppingStone Scholars, and offered admissions to 225 students in one or more of these organizations.

Congratulations to the UPenn’s Class of 2021! To those still waiting on results, good luck! Check out our list of major admission decision release dates here.

Don’t let your application essays and materials go to waste. Join other UPenn Admits and turn your success into insights for future applicants by creating a College Admit profile. Plus, you get to earn some extra money! 

Sources: Daily Pennsylvanian

mmauger

Accepted to UPenn, Villanova, Penn State, Fordham, Wheaton

I am an incoming freshman to the University of Pennsylvania. I'm from a small rural town and am really looking forward to living in a big city.
PennBen

Accepted to UPenn, Cornell, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Emory, GA Tech, UVA

I'm a Penn sophomore interested in the union of logic, computer science, and statistics.
FreddyChang13

Accepted to UPenn, Babson

I am a determined perfectionist who realizes that perfection is not achievable.
KMM96

Accepted to UPenn, GWU, NYU, Alabama, UDel

Junior at the University of Pennsylvania studying Art History and Fine Arts.

Early Decision: Should You Apply ED?
Early Decision: Should You Apply ED?

As we get closer to the fall, many rising seniors are wondering, “Should I apply Early Decision?” One of our interns, Anita, recalls her decision to apply ED to University of Pennsylvania, why she did...

4 Tips to Manage Work Life Balance in High School

Adults might be surprised, but high school students also find it difficult to juggle a good work life balance.We’ve all been there. You’ve had to cancel your plan with your friends because...