University Traditions at UCSB!

This week’s university feature is one of the UCs in California! Stephjoobilee, a junior at UCSB, share with us some stats and traditions of her school! Looking to go to University of California, Santa Barbara? Well, here are somethings you better know! 

Founded:
1891

Location and Size: 1,055 acres on the California coast about 100 miles northwest of Los Angeles

Enrollment: 21,685

School Mascot: Gauchos

School Colors: Blue and Gold

Traditions: 

Tortilla Attack!

In the early 1990s, it became a tradition to throw tortillas onto the basketball court when the Gauchos scored their first point. This started as a way to show school spirit but some fans went overboard and became banned. Yet, even today, this tradition continues during soccer games at Harder Stadium. Before you graduate, it is a must to go to a soccer game and throw tortillas onto the field!

yuzhushi
UMD ‘20

Accepted to UMD, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Case, Swarthmore, Penn State

Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.
jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!