University Traditions at UCSB!

This week’s university feature is one of the UCs in California! Stephjoobilee, a junior at UCSB, share with us some stats and traditions of her school! Looking to go to University of California, Santa Barbara? Well, here are somethings you better know! 

Founded:
1891

Location and Size: 1,055 acres on the California coast about 100 miles northwest of Los Angeles

Enrollment: 21,685

School Mascot: Gauchos

School Colors: Blue and Gold

Traditions: 

Tortilla Attack!

In the early 1990s, it became a tradition to throw tortillas onto the basketball court when the Gauchos scored their first point. This started as a way to show school spirit but some fans went overboard and became banned. Yet, even today, this tradition continues during soccer games at Harder Stadium. Before you graduate, it is a must to go to a soccer game and throw tortillas onto the field!

brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire
Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.