What Are The First Days Of College Like?

Transitioning to college life can be a tough process. Ian is sophomore journalism major at Ithaca College’s Roy H. Park School of Communications who told us about his first couple of weeks in college. Ian’s advice for an easy transition? Check out your school’s organization fair, and don’t be afraid of new and different opportunities.

Ian says:

My first two weeks of college were pretty interesting. First off, it was strange because I only knew a couple people there that I made friends with at orientation in July. I didn’t really know how to go about meeting people, but I just tried to be as open as possible. I hadn’t even met my roommate until that day, and it was pretty awkward at first. We had many similar interests, but it’s always weird to talk to someone for the first time when you know you’ll be sleeping in the same room together every night. We wound up having many similar interests including, basketball, rap music, and tons of other stuff.

Within a couple days we figured out that we both loved to make music, and became pretty close from there. We schedules some shows so we could perform in town, and it really was a ton of fun. The picture below was taken about one week into school, and this was us on stage at our first show together at a venue called The Haunt. ​I also wound up auditioning for a group called IC Voicestream, which is an a cappella singing group at the school, and I found them first through the organization fair. If your school has one of those (which it most likely will), make sure you stop by because you never know what you’ll want to become involved in. I didn’t even know about this group until I got there, and I wound up auditioning and eventually getting into the singing group. Now, this is where most of my friends come from and they are whom I spend most of my time with. 

Most importantly, don’t be too shy. Be open to new things and come into situations with an open mind. I applied this approach to my first few weeks at school and haven’t looked back since.

Check out Ian’s profile to read more about him!

Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...

The ABCs of the ACT
The ABCs of the ACT

When you’re starting your ACT prep, sifting through test materials can be overwhelming. There’s a lot of information, both helpful and unhelpful, about the exam out there. So how do you know where...