What do Admission Offices Prefer: Low GPA with many APs vs. high GPA with a few APs

You have questions? We got the answers! This week, we asked our interns one of the most frequently asked questions from high school students: “Is it better to take few APs and have a high GPA, or take lots of APs and have a lower GPA?” Below are some of their responses! We hope this advice will help you figure out how to pick and choose your classes!

PJMarino: Although each college may have their own formula for this, I do think there is something to be said for taking many AP classes. It makes sense that taking a lot of very difficult classes will inevitably lower your GPA at least a little bit, because you have such a different workload. Taking APs shows colleges that you are looking for a challenge and that you want a tough academic experience. This shows them that if you go to their university, you will take your academics seriously. To help with your decision, you can often ask college admission offices if they have a minimum GPA for their applicants! If you think you can meet that, then decide from there!

Mizo: I would say high GPA with a few APs. Colleges want to see that you are challenging yourself with your course load, but also that you are able to know your limits and manage your priorities and commitments. If you are overloading on APs to the extent that your grade drops, then you’re not reflecting your true potential to the colleges you are applying to! Especially if you could have gotten an A, but instead got a B just because of extra workload. It also demonstrates that you don’t understand your own limits. 

Sarah: This is probably not the answer you want hear. But honestly, neither is better. It is best to have a high GPA with many APs, especially if you’re aiming for some of these top tier schools. But I guess the better question is, what do you mean by ‘Low GPA.’ If you are capable of accepting a challenge, I would say take as many AP classes as you can. But if you’re making lower than a B-, that’s when I would question if it’s worth it.

beccapenn38

brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire
vicamit

Accepted to Florida, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Miami, Northeastern, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Rice

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar at Vanderbilt and art enthusiast

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...