What Exactly Is The Value In A Summer Internship?

Summer internships can set you apart from other students in job interviews, and they can help you gain valuable skills and experience that other part-time jobs do not. Josh is a student at Carnegie Mellon University ,and he shared with us how his summer internship will help him in the future.

This summer I am fortunate to be working with a green energy startup in California as an Engineering Analysis Intern. During this time, I will work primarily on logistical engineering problems with a small team of extremely talented engineers. I will also get the opportunity to work with the company CEO on marketing analysis problems to help commercialize the product. I am extremely excited and thankful for this opportunity, and largely have Carnegie Mellon to thank!

As a rising sophomore, this internship will likely be incredibly influential. It will give me an edge next year as I search for summer internships, and translate to more and better opportunities. My time at

Carnegie Mellon has given me the skills that I needed to be competitive among thousands with more experience than me, for a very limited number of engineering internships. Above the skills that Carnegie has provided me, the peers that I have found have been the driving factor that got me this internship. Being surrounded by passionate and driven people is one of the greatest advantages of a top tier university.

Read more about Josh on his AdmitSee profile!

Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…

littlegreentre…

Accepted to Cambridge, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Swarthmore, Barnard, Wellesley, Duke, NYU, BU

overly ambitious, passionately curious, helplessly perfectionistic