What Exactly Is The Value In A Summer Internship?

Summer internships can set you apart from other students in job interviews, and they can help you gain valuable skills and experience that other part-time jobs do not. Josh is a student at Carnegie Mellon University ,and he shared with us how his summer internship will help him in the future.

This summer I am fortunate to be working with a green energy startup in California as an Engineering Analysis Intern. During this time, I will work primarily on logistical engineering problems with a small team of extremely talented engineers. I will also get the opportunity to work with the company CEO on marketing analysis problems to help commercialize the product. I am extremely excited and thankful for this opportunity, and largely have Carnegie Mellon to thank!

As a rising sophomore, this internship will likely be incredibly influential. It will give me an edge next year as I search for summer internships, and translate to more and better opportunities. My time at

Carnegie Mellon has given me the skills that I needed to be competitive among thousands with more experience than me, for a very limited number of engineering internships. Above the skills that Carnegie has provided me, the peers that I have found have been the driving factor that got me this internship. Being surrounded by passionate and driven people is one of the greatest advantages of a top tier university.

Read more about Josh on his AdmitSee profile!

Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
VivienneEve23

Accepted to UC Berkeley, Brown, Claremont (CMC), Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Northwestern, Pomona, Stanford, San Diego, Vanderbilt, UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly, Cal Poly Pomona, Washington

Los Angeles kid attending UC Berkeley, Class of 2020! Planning on studying business or economics. Go Bears!

Hi! I'm a Williams '19 transfer who's passionate about social justice, tech, and STEM. I'd love to share what I learned from navigating this hectic process twice!