What I Didn’t Expect to Learn at Northwestern University

Some students go to college not knowing what they want to do, and others have had their majors decided as early as freshman year of high school! Regardless of which side of the spectrum you fall under, there will be classes that you take that will take you by surprise. AlexatNU shares with us some of her favorite classes that she didn’t expect to take at Northwestern

Being on the quarter system, Northwestern students are able to take many different classes in a variety of subjects. Here are a few of my favorite classes I have taken thus far:

1. Social Meaning of Race: I took this course my sophomore year of college and it continues to be one of my favorite classes at Northwestern. This class is in the African American Studies department and attempts to address the issue of how race impacts our everyday society. We started this class by studying the initial creations of racial categories and its lasting effect on social classes in America. This class changed the way I think about current day issues and truly altered my perception of human interactions.

2. Ethical Problems and Public Issues: This course is in the Philosophy department and explores current dilemmas in public policy from an ethical standpoint. We discussed issues such as abortion, euthanasia and animal experimentation by examining both philosophical readings and news articles. I took this class my freshman year of college and particularly enjoyed the current day relevancy of the topics. Our discussion group often got in heated debates, encouraging us students to develop arguments and back them up with examples from the readings and lectures.

3. Plant People Interactions: Yes, this class may sound a little bizarre but it was actually very informative. Unlike typical college courses, this class is about how people utilize plants for everyday purposes. We learned about what plants are used for clothing, food, alcohol and fuel. Surprisingly, I use this knowledge almost everyday and have become a source of fun facts for my friends when it comes to plants!

Found this interesting? Leave a comment and let us know!

Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.
niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.
niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.