What to Do the Summer Before College

Congratulations, Senior! You made it! Your hard work and all-nighters have paid off. You’ll soon join the college community you’ve chosen to be a part of for the next 4 years. There’s so much to be excited for in the fall but unbridled enthusiasm only gets you so far. Use your summer wisely to prepare for freshman year. You’ll thank your past self later.

Figure Out Financial Aid

Understanding financial aid award letters can often be a confusing process, so take your time with this and don’t hesitate to ask questions. Take advantage of online resources, and contact your college’s financial aid office if you have any questions that they can clear up.

Understand Your College’s Core Curriculum

Most colleges have a set of courses or goals that they require students to fulfill in some manner by gradation. They are intended to expose students to a variety of disciplines and skills, leading to a more well-rounded education that will benefit students in the workforce. Learn about your college’s requirements by doing some research, and try to work out how you intend to fulfill them early on.

Register for Classes

This is a big one. At some colleges, freshmen get the last pick for classes, so do this early. Try to get your requirements out of the way, because freshman year is generally the best time to do this. You can worry about your department and major-specific courses later on.

Buy Your Textbooks

Once you know your schedule, get this out of the way so you can avoid the crowd. Keep an eye out for online deals, and remember that renting and borrowing textbooks can often lower costs. You want to be prepared for your first week of classes in college!

Participate in Orientation Programs

Orientation is your first opportunity to really get acquainted with college in the fall. If you’re close enough to attend, try to do so. Prepare yourself according to your school’s instructions, and use this chance to get to know the campus better. Orientations usually have activities and programs such as icebreaker activities, campus tours, discussions with current students, and sessions about important information that you’ll need during your time in college, so take advantage of the information that is offered to you to prepare yourself for the fall semester. Also, meet new people and make friends! It’s always a plus.

How are you spending your summer before college? Share your #admitstory by creating a profile and uploading your successful application materials. You get earn money by helping future applicants better understand the college application process. Join now!

Hi! I'm a Williams '19 transfer who's passionate about social justice, tech, and STEM. I'd love to share what I learned from navigating this hectic process twice!

Tulane ‘20

ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...

Cornell University Welcomes 1,533 Students to the Class of 2022

Universities share record-breaking statistics every year when it comes to college applications and this year was no different at Cornell University. Cornell University continued to break two different records three years in a row. Earlier...