What to Do the Summer Before College

Congratulations, Senior! You made it! Your hard work and all-nighters have paid off. You’ll soon join the college community you’ve chosen to be a part of for the next 4 years. There’s so much to be excited for in the fall but unbridled enthusiasm only gets you so far. Use your summer wisely to prepare for freshman year. You’ll thank your past self later.

Figure Out Financial Aid

Understanding financial aid award letters can often be a confusing process, so take your time with this and don’t hesitate to ask questions. Take advantage of online resources, and contact your college’s financial aid office if you have any questions that they can clear up.

Understand Your College’s Core Curriculum

Most colleges have a set of courses or goals that they require students to fulfill in some manner by gradation. They are intended to expose students to a variety of disciplines and skills, leading to a more well-rounded education that will benefit students in the workforce. Learn about your college’s requirements by doing some research, and try to work out how you intend to fulfill them early on.

Register for Classes

This is a big one. At some colleges, freshmen get the last pick for classes, so do this early. Try to get your requirements out of the way, because freshman year is generally the best time to do this. You can worry about your department and major-specific courses later on.

Buy Your Textbooks

Once you know your schedule, get this out of the way so you can avoid the crowd. Keep an eye out for online deals, and remember that renting and borrowing textbooks can often lower costs. You want to be prepared for your first week of classes in college!

Participate in Orientation Programs

Orientation is your first opportunity to really get acquainted with college in the fall. If you’re close enough to attend, try to do so. Prepare yourself according to your school’s instructions, and use this chance to get to know the campus better. Orientations usually have activities and programs such as icebreaker activities, campus tours, discussions with current students, and sessions about important information that you’ll need during your time in college, so take advantage of the information that is offered to you to prepare yourself for the fall semester. Also, meet new people and make friends! It’s always a plus.

How are you spending your summer before college? Share your #admitstory by creating a profile and uploading your successful application materials. You get earn money by helping future applicants better understand the college application process. Join now!

tifstar1997

Accepted to Cornell, CMU, Northwestern, JHU, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine

Cornell Engineering '19
nyudotedu

Accepted to NYU, BC, BU, GWU, Northeastern

I was born and raised in Korea, but I've studied in in U.S. boarding school for 7 years. I love people, building, and cars so I love every cities in the world.
lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!