What You See On College Tours vs. What College Is Really Like

This week, AdmitSee is dedicated to bringing you valuable information about college tours. The prime time to go on your college tour is typically during your high school spring break, whether you’re going with your school, or planning your own with your family, you’re hoping to see each college at it’s best. Well, brace yourself, because college isn’t quite like what campus tours show.

1. You’ll notice that the dining hall serves a wide range of food. There will be options from different cuisines, and will cater to students with different food allergies. 

...but you’ll soon find out that was all to show parents and prospective students the school’s best side. This is typically what you’ll see at the dining hall everyday, and yes, it’s the same ALL. THE. TIME. 

2. Then, you’ll see these nicely decorated dorms, with lights, post-it notes, pictures, and s on, that will make it look just like your room at home. 

...but when you actually get to school, no matter how much you try, it won’t look pinterest-worthy, and you’ll stop trying. 

3. You get really excited by all the beautiful studying spots you see on campus. You start dreaming of all the times you will spend sitting in your cubicle, reading Plato, organizing all your pretty notes and writing your paper on existentialism

...but you won’t actually spend any time at the beautiful library you first saw on the college tour, because you won’t be studying. You’ll just be cramming last minute in your dorm room like this:

4. You’ll get excited about all the student activities that the school has to offer. Current students will happily welcome you and you’ll want to dive into all the clubs you were in back in high school. 

...but when you get to college, you’ll realize your interests have changed, and all you’re getting from these student clubs are emails you’ll never read.

5. You will be super inspired by the discussion based lectures that you go to, and get a sense of what college classes are like.  

...but you’ll soon find out that you will hardly attend the discussion based classes, because you forgot to do the reading, and you’ll only go to lectures like this. 

So there you have it! Keep you mind that both versions do exist, otherwise you won’t see them on college tours. Remember that college is what you make out of it. If you are really lost about where to apply, or where you should attend, it is most valuable to talk to current students. You will find out whether what you saw on a college tour is the general norm at that school, or just a particular group of people. If you don’t have anyone to talk to, search to find students like you or contact a mentor for help with the admissions process so you can narrow down your choices and get a head start.

ssp2020

Accepted to MIT, UMich, Rutgers, Cornell, Rice, Johns Hopkins

Hey! I'm a freshman at MIT interested in computer science and the arts.
niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.
ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!