Which Ivy League is the Best Fit for You: Brown Edition (Part 3 of 8)

Let’s continue this 8 part series to find the best Ivy League college fit for you! Up next is Brown University.

Brown University

Quick Cheat Sheet

Size: You’ll recognize people in your class, but you won’t know them all.

Cost: Tuition $53,419. Room, Board & Expenses: $14,020. Second-most expensive of the Ivies in Tuition; Cheapest for Room, Board & Expenses.

Financial Aid: Follows the need-based and need-blind application process. International students are evaluated in need-aware basis.

Location: You don’t get a big city like NYC, but it certainly not a rural area. Easy to travel ar

Campus: Enclosed campus, walkable

Weather: Again, long winters.

Notable Academic Programs: Open Curriculum

Student Life: Liberal. Focused on on-campus activities and parties. Some greek life.

Overview:

If you’re going to apply to Columbia, then you shouldn’t apply to Brown. The two Ivy League universities have very different core requirements, and Brown’s open curriculum is much more suitable for students who don’t require as much structure.

Students are only asked to complete 30 courses in 8 semesters, with a focus on a specific concentration (a.k.a major). If you don’t know what you’re interested in studying, or interested in too many subjects, do consider applying to Brown.

Located in Providence, RI, Brown is located right next to the Rhode Island School of Design. While students don’t always mingle, there’s certainly that opportunity. Greek life isn’t very prominent on campus, so student clubs are the ones to host activities and parties on campus.

Do you have any other questions about Brown? Comment below and let us know! We’ll answer any questions you may have and update the post with suggestions. If you are set on applying to Brown University, make sure to search through profiles of students accepted to see essays, stats, and advice. See how they got in, and how you can too!

Stay tuned for more! Up next is Cornell University

Sources: US News, Brown

cyberzombies01…

Accepted to Brown, UC Berkeley, UNC, Rutgers

Excited to be at Brown in the fall and excited to help out the next generation of college applicants!
ACal212

Accepted to Brown, Clark

I'm a freshman at Brown who is excited about college and wants high school students to be equally excited about the colleges they end up at.
cerealjess

Accepted to Brown, Vanderbilt, Smith, Harvey Mudd, Washington, UC Berkeley, Duke, UCLA, Swarthmore

I'm a daydreamer passionate about societal transformation... who also happens to spend way too much time watching makeup tutorials.
AnhGilParis

Accepted to Brown

Hey! I'm a proud ED Brunonian still living in Paris.