Why I applied early decision to NYU

I ended up at NYU, you can say by accident. During the college search, I ranked my list of applications by high reach, target school, and backups. Based on my high school credentials, I did not expect myself to get into NYU—I thought I had a much better chance at a school like Boston College. But they had a non-binding early action option, so I applied there and applied to NYU early decision. 

When found out I had been accepted to NYU, I was elated… but also, a bit nervous. I had done extensive research on Boston and its surrounding areas… but I knew nothing about New York City. I even had trouble finding it on a map (What is a borough??). That being said, I did not really have a choice to make since I was in a binding agreement with NYU. The idea of going to school in a big city, THE city, was quite daunting for someone growing up in the suburban Bay Area. On the other hand, the bright lights and hustle and bustle I imagined in my mind gave me great excitement.

When I finally got to college, it took quite a substantial amount of time to get used to the city. NYU doesn’t really have a campus; our buildings are somewhat scattered around Manhattan and we work and play in a busy urban setting. However, as I slowly made friends and got used to the pace of the city, I grew to fall in love with it. The culture, the people, the experiences of New York City are unmatched by any experience I have had.

So looking back at the application process, I wasn’t really drawn in to NYU until I actually got in. Now, as a junior, I have grown accustomed to city life and absolutely love the opportunity I have been given to study in the city. The vibrant communities, my friends, my internships, and my school have shaped me into a new person, and I couldn’t see myself anywhere else but in New York City, at least for the next couple of years.

Jonathan, the author of this post is junior at NYU majoring in Econ. You can read more about him here!

niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.
ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!

BrownDomer
Notre Dame ‘20

Accepted to BU, Emory, Swarthmore, Notre Dame

Hello! I'm an international student from Ethiopia and I'll be majoring in Biology. I'd love to share all the tips and tricks I've learned from my rather unique college application experience with you!

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...