Why I applied early decision to NYU

I ended up at NYU, you can say by accident. During the college search, I ranked my list of applications by high reach, target school, and backups. Based on my high school credentials, I did not expect myself to get into NYU—I thought I had a much better chance at a school like Boston College. But they had a non-binding early action option, so I applied there and applied to NYU early decision. 

When found out I had been accepted to NYU, I was elated… but also, a bit nervous. I had done extensive research on Boston and its surrounding areas… but I knew nothing about New York City. I even had trouble finding it on a map (What is a borough??). That being said, I did not really have a choice to make since I was in a binding agreement with NYU. The idea of going to school in a big city, THE city, was quite daunting for someone growing up in the suburban Bay Area. On the other hand, the bright lights and hustle and bustle I imagined in my mind gave me great excitement.

When I finally got to college, it took quite a substantial amount of time to get used to the city. NYU doesn’t really have a campus; our buildings are somewhat scattered around Manhattan and we work and play in a busy urban setting. However, as I slowly made friends and got used to the pace of the city, I grew to fall in love with it. The culture, the people, the experiences of New York City are unmatched by any experience I have had.

So looking back at the application process, I wasn’t really drawn in to NYU until I actually got in. Now, as a junior, I have grown accustomed to city life and absolutely love the opportunity I have been given to study in the city. The vibrant communities, my friends, my internships, and my school have shaped me into a new person, and I couldn’t see myself anywhere else but in New York City, at least for the next couple of years.

Jonathan, the author of this post is junior at NYU majoring in Econ. You can read more about him here!

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring English teacher.

Duke Supplemental Essay Prompts & Examples

Thinking about applying to Duke this Fall? Check out Duke’s supplemental essay prompts and examples from the 2017-2018 application cycle.Duke Application Prompts 1. Short Essay Required for Engineering Applicants: If you are applying to...

Student Reviews: Dartmouth College's Location & Culture
Student Reviews: Dartmouth College’s Location & Culture

Thinking about applying or enrolling at Dartmouth College? Look beyond Dartmouth’s Ivy League reputation and see what current Dartmouth students have to say about going to school in Hanover. 1. Dartmouth’s Campus & CultureStudent...

The 10 Stages Of Waiting For College Decisions

Nothing feels more like a judgment of who you are as a person and what you’ve accomplished than college admissions results. As you oscillate between crushing self-doubt and steeled confidence about how your application...