Why I applied early decision to NYU

I ended up at NYU, you can say by accident. During the college search, I ranked my list of applications by high reach, target school, and backups. Based on my high school credentials, I did not expect myself to get into NYU—I thought I had a much better chance at a school like Boston College. But they had a non-binding early action option, so I applied there and applied to NYU early decision. 

When found out I had been accepted to NYU, I was elated… but also, a bit nervous. I had done extensive research on Boston and its surrounding areas… but I knew nothing about New York City. I even had trouble finding it on a map (What is a borough??). That being said, I did not really have a choice to make since I was in a binding agreement with NYU. The idea of going to school in a big city, THE city, was quite daunting for someone growing up in the suburban Bay Area. On the other hand, the bright lights and hustle and bustle I imagined in my mind gave me great excitement.

When I finally got to college, it took quite a substantial amount of time to get used to the city. NYU doesn’t really have a campus; our buildings are somewhat scattered around Manhattan and we work and play in a busy urban setting. However, as I slowly made friends and got used to the pace of the city, I grew to fall in love with it. The culture, the people, the experiences of New York City are unmatched by any experience I have had.

So looking back at the application process, I wasn’t really drawn in to NYU until I actually got in. Now, as a junior, I have grown accustomed to city life and absolutely love the opportunity I have been given to study in the city. The vibrant communities, my friends, my internships, and my school have shaped me into a new person, and I couldn’t see myself anywhere else but in New York City, at least for the next couple of years.

Jonathan, the author of this post is junior at NYU majoring in Econ. You can read more about him here!

What You Need to Know About Brown's PLME
What You Need to Know About Brown’s PLME

Dreamt about being a doctor since you’re kid? If so, then you need to know about Brown University’s PLME. What is Brown’s PLME? Brown’s Program in Liberal Medical Education, more commonly...

Introduction to College Grading Curves
Introduction to College Grading Curves

98% accuracy may not be a realistic goal in college; luckily, professors may use curves to save your 68% from destroying your GPA. As a high school student, you are probably accustomed to raw scores being final...

What to Ask on a College Tour
What to Ask on a College Tour

Touring colleges is a quintessential high school experience, and a great opportunity to learn about prospective schools. ​Every college student is able to recognize the starry-eyed high schoolers who swarm campus regularly to explore and...