Why I applied early decision to NYU

I ended up at NYU, you can say by accident. During the college search, I ranked my list of applications by high reach, target school, and backups. Based on my high school credentials, I did not expect myself to get into NYU—I thought I had a much better chance at a school like Boston College. But they had a non-binding early action option, so I applied there and applied to NYU early decision. 

When found out I had been accepted to NYU, I was elated… but also, a bit nervous. I had done extensive research on Boston and its surrounding areas… but I knew nothing about New York City. I even had trouble finding it on a map (What is a borough??). That being said, I did not really have a choice to make since I was in a binding agreement with NYU. The idea of going to school in a big city, THE city, was quite daunting for someone growing up in the suburban Bay Area. On the other hand, the bright lights and hustle and bustle I imagined in my mind gave me great excitement.

When I finally got to college, it took quite a substantial amount of time to get used to the city. NYU doesn’t really have a campus; our buildings are somewhat scattered around Manhattan and we work and play in a busy urban setting. However, as I slowly made friends and got used to the pace of the city, I grew to fall in love with it. The culture, the people, the experiences of New York City are unmatched by any experience I have had.

So looking back at the application process, I wasn’t really drawn in to NYU until I actually got in. Now, as a junior, I have grown accustomed to city life and absolutely love the opportunity I have been given to study in the city. The vibrant communities, my friends, my internships, and my school have shaped me into a new person, and I couldn’t see myself anywhere else but in New York City, at least for the next couple of years.

Jonathan, the author of this post is junior at NYU majoring in Econ. You can read more about him here!

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
vicamit

Accepted to Florida, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Miami, Northeastern, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Rice

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar at Vanderbilt and art enthusiast