Why These Women In STEM Chose Their Colleges

“Women in STEM” has received a ton of national attention in recent years. ( The phrase even has its own wikipedia page!) Today, in honor of International Day of Women and Girls in Science, we wanted to highlight a few of the many female STEM majors who are on AdmitSee. We’ve compiled their advice on their college application journeys and how their passion for STEM was the ultimate deciding factor on where to attend.

filoteia19: For a Pre-Med student, Rhodes is the perfect choice. The school offers so many opportunities for research and internships especially due to the fact that to renowned hospitals, St. Jude’s Hospital and Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital, are in such close proximity to the school. The campus is absolutely beautiful and the architecture of the buildings is amazing. The student body is so kind and welcoming and the academics are unparalleled.

Seopinspirit: For over fifteen years, Princeton was just “the dream school.” But when it became a reality along with six other offers, my decision boiled down to the departments, professors, and undergraduate focus. I was particularly interested in Princeton’s ORFE (Operations Research and Financial Engineering) department, something which other schools did not have. This department deals with financial mathematics, machine learning, probability, optimization, etc. and applies these topics to energy, sports, commerce, technology, logistics, and many other fields. It was probably the most flexible choice for people like me who only knew they enjoyed dealing with numbers. Furthermore, many professors at Princeton were world-renowned yet extremely accessible. Finally, as much as this is overexpressed, Princeton’s undergraduate focus is no joke. The ratio of graduate students to undergraduate students is far lower than that of its peer institutions, and its overall size is smaller than others, contributing to why Princeton has the highest endowment per capita. This allows for more individual focus and what I knew would be a great undergraduate experience.

niustephanie: I spent a lot (a LOT) of time deciding between Stanford and MIT and Stanford and Georgia Tech. I ultimately picked Stanford because of it’s incredible entrepreneurial culture, interdisciplinary nature, open-minded campus culture, GORGEOUS weather and campus, and proximity to Silicon Valley. And I’m so glad I made the choice I did.

jmalhi: As a tour guide at my school, I get asked this a lot “Why did you even choose to come here.” It’s actually a required question we end all our tours with. So why did I choose Hopkins? I chose it for two primary reasons: scientific research and the people. Hopkins was founded in 1876 as a research university—the first one in the United States actually. The spirit of research and inquiry, finding your own answers to problems, is strong here and that’s why I really wanted to go, especially since one of my high schools, a magnet program focusing on science and math, also focused on inquiry and scientific research. The other main reason I chose my school was because of the people here. As in the adjectives before, the students at JHU are some of the smartest and most involved people at any other school. They’re also compelling and interesting, all of them having different stories and backgrounds that are exciting to learn about.

Rhandy: I chose my school because their biology program was very strong (I originally came in as a biology major). I also loved the school because it was in a great location, the campus was beautiful and inviting, and I couldn’t beat the price (NYS tuition). In addition, their medical school acceptance rate post-undergrad was very high for a state school. When applying to schools I knew that I wanted a bigger school because I grew up in a small country town and I really wanted something more and something near the city.

Are you also a female in stem? Leave a comment and let us know! We would love to hear more about the experience of others. If you’re looking for help with your college applications, get in touch with a mentor and have your questions answered by a successful college student. Search through our database to find students like you and see how they got into college. 

rubisco22

Accepted to Stanford

A Questbridge Match and an aspiring engineer who plans to solve global issues using business, law, politics, and, of course, science.
jackieee

Accepted to Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, CMU, JHU, Duke, USC, BU, Illinois, UMich, UCLA

Unhooked Asian girl interested in CS & English! Princeton '22
2021stanford

Accepted to Stanford, Harvard, MIT, UC Berkeley

My spirit animal is Pikachu (that is, a math/science, politics-loving Pikachu!)
banbanana

Accepted to Princeton, Arizona State, NAU

I am majoring in chemical and biological engineering at Princeton University.