Women In Tech

Lydia and I ventured forth last week to attend one of NY Tech Meetup’s latest inclusion initiatives, the Women in Tech Midsummer Meetup, held at BaubleBar‘s Soho location for a night of jewelry-browsing, cocktail-sipping, and just-awkward-enough-but-also-potentially-valuable networking conversations.

This is what resulted:

As you can see, there was a photobooth…
As you can see, there was a photobooth…

“According to a recent report from New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), women make up 48.6% of employed civilians in New York City and 39.2% of women have bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, or related fields. However, women make up only 8.1% of the Professional, Scientific and Technical workforce and are founders of just 18% of startups in the city.”

NYTM’s educating and empowering women effort is commendable. I’m just happy to see an overall rise in innovation, self-started-ness and (presumably) the potential for job creation across the board, regardless of gender.

All in all, glad we attended the event and got a glimpse of a snippet of the startup world, a space we plan to become more and more familiar with as we roll out the site. The night was a rewarding one. Well, this may or may not be helped in part by the fact we did procure some spoils, bending my rule to not spend anything that night . . . but, look, I felt obligated okay? It was my first meetup as a bona fide co-founder and I wanted to blend in . . . .

Schmoozin’ along,

Steph

Stanford

Technophile and coffee lover. CS major and Classics minor with a passion for STEM and the arts.
LorLop
CMU

Accepted to CMU, RPI, Stevens, New Jersey IT

Carnegie Mellon University Computer Engineering Student
BrownBear23
Brown

Accepted to Brown, UMich, UT Austin

Artist, Writer, wannabe-philosopher
Rice