10 Fun Facts about Georgetown University

We’re shining a spotlight on Georgetown University and the whacky students who call themselves Hoyas. If you’ve ever wondered what a Hoya is, you aren’t alone. The most popular story behind the name is that in Georgetown’s early days, all students were required to study Greek and Latin, and the sports teams were called “The Stonewalls.” At games, students used to shout the HOYA SAXA (hoya is Greek for “what” and saxa is Latin for “rocks”). The cheer is still popular today and Georgetown students are known as Hoyas. But that’s just some background for you… get to know Hoyas better with these 10 fun facts!

1. If someone steps on the Georgetown University seal in front of the Healy Hall, rumor has it that if the person is applying the Georgetown he or she will not be accepted.  If the person is a student, he or she will not graduate in four years. So step with caution!

2. Georgetown students like to boast about our awesome Alumni, Bill Clinton and Bradley Cooper.  Who wouldn’t boast if they had grads that were the President of the United States of America and an Academy Award Nominee? Bonus: They stop by for talks and visits from time to time! 

3. Georgetown is old enough to be part of the Ivy League. The Ivies are an athletic collegiate conference of sports teams on the East Coast.  Georgetown played with almost all the schools in the conference and was established in 1789. 

4. Georgetown hails brilliant speakers every year ranging from the President of the United States, Barack Obama to Kevin Spacey, world-renowned actor.

kingcooper

Accepted to Georgetown, GWU, Occidental, JHU, BC

Pre-med Math major at Georgetown University
joy2760

Accepted to Georgetown, Haverford, NYU, BU, GWU, Syracuse, Brandeis, Rutgers, Pitt, Drexel

I'm an adventurous introvert who loves traveling, languages, books, and needs music playing 24/7
crk2020

Accepted to Georgetown, Northeastern, Villanova, BC, Fordham

While I wanted to go into business, all of my extracurricular activities had nothing to do with my intended major!. Learn how I used my diverse extracurricular involvement to my advantage, and how it set me apart from other applicants!
syd22

Accepted to UPenn, Dartmouth, Cornell, Brown, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Barnard, Wesleyan, NYU

Hey! I'm Sydney, and I survived the transfer process.