10 Fun Facts About Northeastern

Northeastern University is located in the heart of Boston, MA - one of the most popular college towns in the U.S. Apart from its popular college location and vibrant student life, what do you know about Northeastern? If the answer is nothing, you’ll love these 10 fun facts!

1. Northeastern was originally called the Evening Institute of Young Men, and was founded in association with YMCA in 1898.

2. Originally a cross-country team tradition, the Underwear Run is now a college tradition that takes place every Parent’s Weekend. Coincidence? We think not.

3. Northeastern’s Co-op (Cooperative Education) Program attracts many applicants to apply. Not only is it one of the most popular programs, Northeastern was actually one of the first schools to instill such a program in 1909.

4. Home to the Northeastern Huskies, Matthews Arena is the oldest hockey arena in the world.

5. Biz Stone, one of Twitter’s co-founder, attended Northeastern to study Arts but dropped out.

6. Even though the Northeastern Huskies have never won the NCAA tournament, they have produced NBA players like Reggie Lewis and J.J. Barea.

7. Shawn Fanning founded Napster at Northeastern and dropped out in 1999.

8. Northeastern’s Cabot Center is an indoor athletic avenue that was rebuilt on the Huntington Avenue Grounds, which was where the first World Series was held. There is a plaque that marks the spot on where the left field foul line used to be.

9. Wendy Williams attended Northeastern University and graduated with a B.A. in Communications in 1986.

10. The Northeastern’s Snell Library has over 1 millions visitors each year.

Are you looking to apply to Northeastern? Make sure to search through profiles of students accepted to see essays, stats, and advice. See how they got in, and how you can too!

Claire213
Northeastern ‘20

Accepted to Northeastern

Hey! I'm an incoming freshman at Northeastern University with a combined major in English and linguistics. I'm from a small town in Illinois, and I'm hugely passionate about theater, politics, and civil rights.
syd414
Northeastern ‘18

Accepted to Northeastern, Holy Cross, Vanderbilt, UMass

Northeastern University, CIVE Undergrad & Triathlete
Hagbardceline
Northeastern ‘19

Accepted to Northeastern, UVM, Pitt, UMass

Rising College Freshman
adel.attari.9
Northeastern ‘19

Accepted to CMU, GA Tech, Northeastern, BU

Northeastern Class of 2019

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...