10 Facts About University Endowment

• There are 77 universities in the U.S. with endowments* exceeding $1 BILLION (data). 
  • Meanwhile there are only 10 universities in the rest of the world with endowments that high!
  • The top universities are Harvard ($32B), Yale ($20B), Stanford ($19B), Princeton ($18B), and MIT ($11B)
  • Harvard lost $11 billion in the 2008 recession, but don’t feel too bad for them…
  • Harvard’s increase in its endowment from 2012 to 2013 exceeded the GDP of 45 of the countries ranked by the United Nations (source).
  • Almost all of Stanford’s endowment comes from ownership of coal-mining companies; they plan to divest their interest to distance themselves from climate change issues (source).
  • Former Mayer of New York Michael Bloomberg donated $1.1 billion to his (and my) alma mater Johns Hopkins.
  • University endowments exceed the whopping $1.2 trillion in student loan debt, but don’t expect a reallocation any time… ever.
  • In fact tuitions keep rising. The Senate Finance Committee even considered requiring universities spend at least 5% of their endowment each year, just as other foundations must.
  • Several university endowments have come under fire for mismanagement and unsavory investing (examples)

University endowment is the total value of an institution’s investments; it’s generally created through alumni donations. 

What You Need to Know About Brown's PLME
What You Need to Know About Brown’s PLME

Dreamt about being a doctor since you’re kid? If so, then you need to know about Brown University’s PLME. What is Brown’s PLME? Brown’s Program in Liberal Medical Education, more commonly...

Introduction to College Grading Curves
Introduction to College Grading Curves

98% accuracy may not be a realistic goal in college; luckily, professors may use curves to save your 68% from destroying your GPA. As a high school student, you are probably accustomed to raw scores being final...

What to Ask on a College Tour
What to Ask on a College Tour

Touring colleges is a quintessential high school experience, and a great opportunity to learn about prospective schools. ​Every college student is able to recognize the starry-eyed high schoolers who swarm campus regularly to explore and...