5 Ways to Stay Calm During Application Season

Applying to colleges is definitely the most stressful part of high school - all your achievements, grades and goals culminating into a few essays, test scores and recommendations, it can be nerve racking. The only way to really get through this arduous process is to stay calm. All your hard work will show through your application, you just have to stay organized and meet all the appropriate deadlines. So how can you stay on task? Here are some tips on how to not get overwhelmed:

1. Write all your deadlines and tasks down on a physical calendar. Actually writing everything down that you need to do will not only free up some space in your brain, but it will also let you visually plan when you’re going to do things. Also, it will feel great when you get to cross things off!

2. Make time for friends. Don’t isolate yourself while you’re applying to colleges. Make time for hanging out, going to the movies, or grabbing a pumpkin spice latte. The down time will help take your mind off the apps and remember this is your senior year after all, this is the last time all your high school friends will be together consistently. Cherish them while you can.

3. Make time for yourself. Whether it’s an hour of Netflix or a SoulCycle class, do something that you enjoy and that de-stresses you. Just remember, everyone goes through this, if they can do it so can you! So when you start to get overwhelmed, just take a breath, take an hour off and then get back to writing those essays.

4. Plan something special for the day after you submit all your apps. Rewarding yourself is important; applying to college is a big deal! Just applying is a big step, not everyone makes it here; you are already on the path to achieving your goals. Plan a day trip, a manicure, a special dinner with your family, anything! Planning a reward for yourself will give you something to look forward to and it will give you some instant gratification after you hit ‘submit’ because like it or not you will still have several weeks or months until you find out where you were accepted.

5. Get enough sleep! With applications, classes, sports and extracurricular activities, your fall semester of senior year is definitely going to be busy. So make sure you manage your time well enough to squeeze in 8 hours of quality rest each night. Recharging your body is not only crucial for physical health, but also for mental health. This is a stressful time and being well rested will ensure that you are putting your best foot forward every step of the way.

Since admissions can be tough, AdmitSee is here to take the stress out of applying to college. High schoolers can search by school and find successfully admitted students to see scores, grades, essays, and more. If you’re already in college, sign up now to automatically be entered into our scholarship.

niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.

UCLA Class of 2020. Orange County native. I like math and music!
Tulane ‘20

youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!