Admissions Tips from a Freshman at Harvard: How I chose between schools

Ultimately, I was choosing between three Ivy League Schools: Harvard, UPenn, and Yale. There were many factors which played into my decision (to attend Harvard)—choosing between schools will always leave doubts in your mind, because there is no right or wrong decision.

My mom’s side of the family is from western Massachusetts, and my mom, aunt, and uncle all went to school in Boston, so Harvard was always a school that my family talked about and pushed me to strive for. I have family in that area, and growing up I found myself in Boston basically every summer, so it was a very comfortable area for me. Harvard had additional appeal because of how people talked about it as the “best school in the country.” That—combined with my familial ties to Boston—made it seem like an easy choice.

Yet, for some reason (maybe in teenage rebellious fashion), I did not immediately gravitate towards Harvard, or in fact Yale. The school I was really thinking about was University of Pennsylvania. I am a very social person, very athletic and into sports. For some reason, I just could see myself at UPenn, especially when looking at social, intangible qualities. My biggest fear about Harvard was the image that the school was lacking in passion and social life, and that every kid was too smart for his own good. Thankfully, after one semester at Harvard, I found out that that was extremely untrue.

I ended up sitting on the decision for a while, and visited each school in the spring. A big factor in my decision to attend Harvard was financial aid: Yale gave me none, and after that I decided my second-home city of Boston would be a better fit for me than New Haven. But then between Harvard and UPenn, I just basically had to make a very hard choice between two places I knew I would like. I ultimately chose Harvard because of the amazing opportunity that it presents in terms of meeting amazing faculty, interacting with brilliant peers, and opening doors for the rest of your life. It seemed like the easier choice to make. I don’t regret the decision at all and I absolutely love it here. It already feels like home.

The author, CaseyColucci, is a freshman at Harvard. Unlock his full profile to read his application essays, including the “why us” essays, that got him accepted to Harvard, Yale and UPenn!

clovescirrus

Accepted to Princeton, Dartmouth, Rice, JHU, UVA, UMD, CMU, Vanderbilt

Princeton class of 2020, choir nerd, lover of language. Writing is my favorite thing to do, and I'd love to help you brainstorm/write/revise.

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!
youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...