Advice for New Students

Being a college freshman can be hard to get used to. Making the transition from high school to college can be difficult, but it helps to remember that everyone goes through it. Jared, a student at Cornell University, shares his advice for college freshmen.  

I remember my first week of college. I was beyond nervous. I was worried that I was going to have trouble making friends. I was terrified that I was going to get lost on campus and be late to all of my classes. And I was nowhere close to being ready to accept the fact that I was going to get homework in every class on the first day. There were so many things that I was not looking forward to. However, after the first week had passed, I realized that I was being ridiculous.

Fortunately, things hadn’t gone nearly as badly as I had expected. I had made a few new friends in the first week. And while I did get lost on campus at times, there were always people who were happy to help me find my way, and the teachers gave us new students time to get adjusted to the new environment. The homework was also expected, but the professors were generally very reasonable with their assignments. 

The biggest piece of advice that I could give any student at or about to attend any college is to be optimistic. Never only look at the bad things about your school. There are going to be good things that you aren’t seeing because you’re so focused on the negatives. Look for them! This will make you happier, and you’ll definitely be more likely to find friends and enjoy college life.

I would also recommend that you go out and find things to do on campus with people whose company you enjoy. You’ll be happier when you have people that share your interests and like spending time with you surrounding you. Go out and try to make some friends. Go to the lobby of your dorm for that table tennis tournament or that ice cream party. Don’t stay in your room all the time. 

Lastly, take advantage of your school’s orientation, which should take place within the first few weeks. You’ll get to participate in many “ice breaker” activities, which will help you make friends quickly. Remember, colleges want their students to enjoy themselves while they are attending. They do so much to make sure that happens. The beginning of the your college experience may seem the most difficult, but chances are that after you get through it you’ll see it as one of your favorite parts.

Read more about Jared and his advice on his admitsee profile.

youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!
lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!
ssp2020

Accepted to MIT, UMich, Rutgers, Cornell, Rice, JHU

computer science / design / music / film