Advice for New Students

Being a college freshman can be hard to get used to. Making the transition from high school to college can be difficult, but it helps to remember that everyone goes through it. Jared, a student at Cornell University, shares his advice for college freshmen.  

I remember my first week of college. I was beyond nervous. I was worried that I was going to have trouble making friends. I was terrified that I was going to get lost on campus and be late to all of my classes. And I was nowhere close to being ready to accept the fact that I was going to get homework in every class on the first day. There were so many things that I was not looking forward to. However, after the first week had passed, I realized that I was being ridiculous.

Fortunately, things hadn’t gone nearly as badly as I had expected. I had made a few new friends in the first week. And while I did get lost on campus at times, there were always people who were happy to help me find my way, and the teachers gave us new students time to get adjusted to the new environment. The homework was also expected, but the professors were generally very reasonable with their assignments. 

The biggest piece of advice that I could give any student at or about to attend any college is to be optimistic. Never only look at the bad things about your school. There are going to be good things that you aren’t seeing because you’re so focused on the negatives. Look for them! This will make you happier, and you’ll definitely be more likely to find friends and enjoy college life.

I would also recommend that you go out and find things to do on campus with people whose company you enjoy. You’ll be happier when you have people that share your interests and like spending time with you surrounding you. Go out and try to make some friends. Go to the lobby of your dorm for that table tennis tournament or that ice cream party. Don’t stay in your room all the time. 

Lastly, take advantage of your school’s orientation, which should take place within the first few weeks. You’ll get to participate in many “ice breaker” activities, which will help you make friends quickly. Remember, colleges want their students to enjoy themselves while they are attending. They do so much to make sure that happens. The beginning of the your college experience may seem the most difficult, but chances are that after you get through it you’ll see it as one of your favorite parts.

Read more about Jared and his advice on his admitsee profile.

Hi! I'm an incoming sophomore transfer at Williams who's passionate about technology, STEM education, social justice, and design. I've learned a thing or two after navigating this hectic process twice now, and would love to help guide others through it!
Yalie

Accepted to Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Rice, Williams, Amherst, UVA, UNC, W&L U, Rutgers, UVM

Entrepreneurial sophomore Mathematics and Philosophy major at Yale University who also loves the liberal arts.
tifstar1997

Accepted to Cornell, CMU, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine

Cornell Engineering '19
SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)

USC Merit-Based Scholarships You Should Know About

Worried about how you can afford to attend a private university? If you’re applying to the University of Southern California, there are a few merit-based scholarships you should know to alleviate the cost. As...

Student Insight: What to Expect from College Interviews

Not sure what to expect from a college interview? We asked 5 students to share their college interview experiences with you. First thing you should know about college interviews is that they are not required. More...