Advice to New Students at BC

Are you heading to Boston College this fall?  What is better than advice from a student who has been in your shoes not too long ago?  Paige attends BC and provided her best advice and tips to incoming freshman.  

The best piece of advice I got when I came to BC, and one that I always tell freshmen, is to find a club or activity that you’re passionate about. At the beginning of the semester, BC puts on a Student Involvement Fair. They clear a huge section of campus and all of the organizations set up tables to recruit new members. This can be super intimidating at first, because there are so many options, but if you can find at least one or two activities to join, it’ll make a huge difference. It will help you make friends and feel like you have a home on campus!

I would also tell incoming freshmen to use PEPS before choosing classes. There are tons of classes to choose from, but something I’ve learned the hard way is that even the best subject matter can become very boring (very fast) if you have the wrong professor. PEPS is an online system made by the student government which allows students to rate professors and classes. Of course, sometimes this information is biased, but if there is a noticeable pattern, it is worth keeping in mind!

On a similar note, try to become friendly with your academic advisor. If you find that you’re not compatible with him or her, try to look into switching. I was lucky to have two of the best academic advisors, and they continue to be huge parts of my college experience. They not only help you pick classes, but they can also connect you with other people or organizations that could help you further your studies or passions.

Boston College can be intimidating at first, but if you take this advice and just remember to be yourself, and you’ll end up having the time of your life!

Read more of Paige’s advice and see the essays that got her into BC in her AdmitSee Profile!

hulya559

Accepted to Harvard, Dartmouth, UC Berkeley, Emory, USC

Hi! I'm a Harvard PreFrosh interested in service, economics, math, and philosophy excited to help you.
Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.
lizolat

Accepted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, JHU, Duke, Brown, Dartmouth, WashU, USF, Florida, UCF

My name is Elizabeth, and I am from a small town in Florida. I graduated from Land O' Lakes High School, and am now a student at Yale University. My intended major is Biomedical Engineering with a Molecular Engineering focus, and I am a pre-med student.
brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire

Your Final Early Application Checklist
Your Final Early Application Checklist

If you're applying Early Decision or Early Action, use this checklist to make sure you've properly personalized your application and are adequately prepared for the ED/EA process....