Advice to New Students at BC

Are you heading to Boston College this fall?  What is better than advice from a student who has been in your shoes not too long ago?  Paige attends BC and provided her best advice and tips to incoming freshman.  

The best piece of advice I got when I came to BC, and one that I always tell freshmen, is to find a club or activity that you’re passionate about. At the beginning of the semester, BC puts on a Student Involvement Fair. They clear a huge section of campus and all of the organizations set up tables to recruit new members. This can be super intimidating at first, because there are so many options, but if you can find at least one or two activities to join, it’ll make a huge difference. It will help you make friends and feel like you have a home on campus!

I would also tell incoming freshmen to use PEPS before choosing classes. There are tons of classes to choose from, but something I’ve learned the hard way is that even the best subject matter can become very boring (very fast) if you have the wrong professor. PEPS is an online system made by the student government which allows students to rate professors and classes. Of course, sometimes this information is biased, but if there is a noticeable pattern, it is worth keeping in mind!

On a similar note, try to become friendly with your academic advisor. If you find that you’re not compatible with him or her, try to look into switching. I was lucky to have two of the best academic advisors, and they continue to be huge parts of my college experience. They not only help you pick classes, but they can also connect you with other people or organizations that could help you further your studies or passions.

Boston College can be intimidating at first, but if you take this advice and just remember to be yourself, and you’ll end up having the time of your life!

Read more of Paige’s advice and see the essays that got her into BC in her AdmitSee Profile!

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.
Yalie

Accepted to Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Rice, Williams, Amherst, UVA, UNC, W&L U, Rutgers, UVM

Entrepreneurial sophomore Mathematics and Philosophy major at Yale University who also loves the liberal arts.