Advice to New Students at BC

Are you heading to Boston College this fall?  What is better than advice from a student who has been in your shoes not too long ago?  Paige attends BC and provided her best advice and tips to incoming freshman.  

The best piece of advice I got when I came to BC, and one that I always tell freshmen, is to find a club or activity that you’re passionate about. At the beginning of the semester, BC puts on a Student Involvement Fair. They clear a huge section of campus and all of the organizations set up tables to recruit new members. This can be super intimidating at first, because there are so many options, but if you can find at least one or two activities to join, it’ll make a huge difference. It will help you make friends and feel like you have a home on campus!

I would also tell incoming freshmen to use PEPS before choosing classes. There are tons of classes to choose from, but something I’ve learned the hard way is that even the best subject matter can become very boring (very fast) if you have the wrong professor. PEPS is an online system made by the student government which allows students to rate professors and classes. Of course, sometimes this information is biased, but if there is a noticeable pattern, it is worth keeping in mind!

On a similar note, try to become friendly with your academic advisor. If you find that you’re not compatible with him or her, try to look into switching. I was lucky to have two of the best academic advisors, and they continue to be huge parts of my college experience. They not only help you pick classes, but they can also connect you with other people or organizations that could help you further your studies or passions.

Boston College can be intimidating at first, but if you take this advice and just remember to be yourself, and you’ll end up having the time of your life!

Read more of Paige’s advice and see the essays that got her into BC in her AdmitSee Profile!

Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.
youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!
tifstar1997

Accepted to Cornell, CMU, Northwestern, JHU, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine

Cornell Engineering '19

Hi! I'm a Williams '19 transfer who's passionate about social justice, tech, and STEM. I'd love to share what I learned from navigating this hectic process twice!

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...