Building Your College List Over The Summer

It’s that time of year again. If you didn’t go on a college tour over spring break, this summer is your chance to! Take the opportunity to visit a few campus on your list, as well as the list your parents gave you, and find out which you love, and which you hate! Being there in person is the best way to find out if a school is the right one for you. Take it from these students from OSU, Emerson, NYU and Clemson

Jrossell

OSU ‘17

It’s important to know what you want and why. The biggest question is why us, and that’s only an answer you can give after touring and researching a school. With so many school types it’s important to find the right ones for you. I knew I wanted a big school with sports and that offered a variety of majors and activities.

Emma3255

Emerson ‘19

When looking at schools, I put schools into two categories. The first was schools that offered intensive, pre-professional programs in film and television, such as Emerson, Ithaca, and BU. The second was liberal arts colleges that did not offer the same intensive programs, but were schools that I would love to attend if I decided I wanted to pursue a less focused, more general path, such as Occidental and Skidmore.

I found schools by talking to my parents, meeting with my guidance counselor at school, and using websites like CollegeBoard and Naviance. I also toured lots of schools, and many of the schools I toured I ended up choosing not to apply to. This was fine, because it saved time and money. Just because you go on a tour does not mean you’re committing to applying, so keep an open mind! You may end up loving that weird school your mom told you to look at, and you might end up hating a school that was on your list from the beginning. Either way, having a strong opinion is better than having no opinion. If you know why you liked or disliked a school, it can be useful in helping you find other schools you’re excited about and/or narrow your focus.

Smoakybear

Clemson ‘18

When being pressure to apply to many schools, here is a short list of things to think about. What is the weather like? If you don’t like the snow, don’t go to Yale or BYU. If you don’t like to sweat or the beach, don’t go to Miami or Houston. If you don’t like the climate, trust me, you are going to be miserable. When you go on your campus tour, be on the look out for the student body and what stands out. Are students happy? Can you see yourself being one of them?

Samdasoo

I have always wanted city schools because I heard that city schools all have great internship opportunities. Whenever I went on a college tour for city colleges, they all emphasized the fact that the internship opportunities there are endless. This is part of the reason why I chose NYU at the end.

Whether you’re just starting your search or you’re looking for help applying, it’s never too early to make the college application process easier. Search to find students like you or contact a mentor for help with the admissions process so you can narrow down your choices and get a head start.

nyudotedu

Accepted to NYU, BC, BU, GWU, Northeastern

I was born and raised in Korea, but I've studied in in U.S. boarding school for 7 years. I love people, building, and cars so I love every cities in the world.
ShaneNYUStern

Accepted to NYU, Williams, W&L U, CMU, Holy Cross, Tufts, VA Tech, UChicago, William & Mary

All-American Swimmer, Coca-Cola Scholar, NYU Stern Class of 2019. I am pursuing a major in Marketing or Finance with a minor in International Business
emma3255
Emerson ‘19

Accepted to Emerson, Fordham, Hobart, Ithaca, Occidental

I went to small, public high school and now attend Emerson College as a Visual Media Arts major.
rp_alpha

Accepted to Northwestern, NYU, DePaul

I'm a music performance major at NYU's Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human development, and I'm also doing a minor in the business of entertainment, media, and technology.