Crafting The Perfect College Application Essays

College application essays don’t have to make you crazy! AdmitSee offers tons of advice on how to make your application essays great from college counselors, students, and our team members! If you’re just getting started, check out these 7 Do’s and Don’ts for crafting your essays. 

We’ve organized lots of students’ application essays into essay topic packages - unlock a two packages and you get a third free! Also, click here to read about which essay topics you might want to skip (spoiler alert: writing about jail time is not a good idea). But remember sometimes controversial topics work!

Are you an international student? Read examples of application essays from other international students who got accepted to ivy league schools.  Here is advice from AdmitSee’s co-founder Stephanie Shyu about how to improve your writing! Also check out this interview with college counselor Keith for advice on the application process, including his take on extracurricular activities.

The intro is the most important part - a lot of college admissions officers will only read this paragraph and then just skim the rest. You can read thousands of accepted students’ application essay intros totally free on our essays tab! Make sure to have a killer hook - avoid cliche quotes from famous people. Remember, you want to put your best self forward - this is your opportunity to shine. You don’t want to come off like this (unless you’re applying to NYU’s Tisch Program).

Review this final essay checklist to make sure your essay is top notch! Compare it to essays by students who were already accepted to your first choice school. And remember, you can do this! You ARE a big deal!! Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!

Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!
Tulane ‘20

Hi! I'm a Williams '19 transfer who's passionate about social justice, tech, and STEM. I'd love to share what I learned from navigating this hectic process twice!

Student Advice: Choosing Where to Enroll

It’s a great feeling when you get multiple acceptances from the colleges you’ve applied to, but it can also be a challenging time deciding where to enroll! The tables have turned! Now, it’...

Duke Supplemental Essay Prompts & Examples

Thinking about applying to Duke this Fall? Check out Duke’s supplemental essay prompts and examples from the 2017-2018 application cycle. You can expect similar prompts for the upcoming cycle.Duke Application Prompts1. Short Essay...

Student Reviews: Dartmouth College's Location & Culture
Student Reviews: Dartmouth College’s Location & Culture

Thinking about applying or enrolling at Dartmouth College? Look beyond Dartmouth’s Ivy League reputation and see what current Dartmouth students have to say about going to school in Hanover. 1. Dartmouth’s Campus & CultureStudent...