From Duct Tape to Academics: Scholarships

​College applications are hard to fill out. They’re stressful, time consuming, and they make you want to rip your hair out. However, getting into college isn’t the only important thing. Being able to pay for college is also extremely important. It’s impossible to list every scholarship out there, or point out the best one, but it is possible to find the type of scholarship for you. Believe it or not, whether you “think green” or do community service, or like debate, there are specific types of scholarships you should be looking for.

The first category of scholarships is student-specific scholarships. The most common type of scholarship that is student-specific is one for minorities. The Gates Millennium Scholars Program, for example, is open only to African American, American Indian/Alaska Natives, Asian Pacific Islander Americans, and Hispanic American students. Yet, there are smaller scholarships that are student-specific. These include ones from Best Buy, where they have a scholarship set up for those with community service interests. Check out more of these at collegescholarships.org

The second category of scholarships is unique scholarships. These include academic scholarships, or the All-American Academic Award from the National Forensic League. There are ones out there for first generation students, or students whose relatives have been in service in the military. Check out scholarships.com for a list of scholarships available to high school students.

Below are some scholarships you should look up for more information. Remember that there are all kinds of scholarships out there for you. There are even ones out there such as “Duck Tape Prom Date Scholarship”, where winners who design the bets prom outfits out of duct tape receive a scholarship!

Stuck at Prom Contest

Got a Spine Scholarship

BBG Communications Scholarships

10 Words or Less Scholarship

Youth Volunteer Scholarship Award

Odenza Marketing Group Volunteer Award

Compass Mortgage Group Scholarship

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!
tngreen55593

Accepted to Georgetown, UT Austin, Texas Christian, Texas A&M, Richmond, Pepperdine

A hard worker that is living the dream.
aebrennen

Accepted to Yale, UPenn, Davidson, UNC, UMich, Emory, Northwestern, Wake Forest, UVA, UKentucky, William & Mary, Miami OH, Vanderbilt

Passionate about education from the great state of Kentucky.
SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...