Sticker Price & Its Effect on your College Decision

It’s the factor in choosing a college that no one likes to talk about: the sticker price.  How should the price of your dream education play into your decision? Sabrina, a current student at USC, shared her advice for getting the best bang for your buck and making your dream school as affordable as possible.

The cost of different universities definitely affected my decision of where to go, as it does for many college applicants. My school, the University of Southern California, has a very high sticker price, and I would definitely not have been able to attend without receiving a substantial amount of financial aid. I applied fairly early - before December 1st - to be considered for a merit-based scholarship. There are two tiers to merit scholarship allocation at USC: first, you must apply before this special early deadline, and second, you are invited to come to campus and have an on-campus interview.

I was lucky enough to make it through both rounds of cuts and received a half-tuition merit scholarship, which factored enormously into my decision to come to USC. Without that money, I would definitely have gone to a cheaper school: either my flagship state school, or one of the several other private universities I was admitted to, which also gave me financial aid. All of these schools are quality universities, and I don’t doubt that I would have received a quality education at any of them. But when all the offers were in, there was hardly a choice: USC was my favorite school that I applied to and I was set on going. Even though some other schools did give me a bit more money, I was still able to come to USC, because of the large scholarship I received.

I will say, however, that dealing with the financial aid office is not always smooth sailing. I also received a grant and took out several loans to cover the rest of tuition costs, and on more than one occasion I’ve had to go in for an appointment to discuss logistics of the process. Situations like that have made dealing with financial aid officers, and doing all the monetary calculations to make sure everything is as it should be, somewhat difficult at times. But it’s certainly worth it, as it has allowed me to come to my dream school. I definitely advise applicants to apply for financial aid even if they think they’re unlikely to get it—you never know—and to appeal the package they receive if they believe their circumstances warrant receiving more aid. It can’t hurt, and just might help!

elewal

Accepted to Brown, Cornell, CMU, Wesleyan, William & Mary, Case, Villanova, Binghamton, RPI, WPI

Hi! I'm a sophomore at Brown University studying Biochemistry and English. I love writing, baking, hiking, and music.
Yalie

Accepted to Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Rice, Williams, Amherst, UVA, UNC, W&L U, Rutgers, UVM

Entrepreneurial sophomore Mathematics and Philosophy major at Yale University who also loves the liberal arts.
Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...