Incredible High School Students: Bella Weems

Imagine starting your own company at just 14! Bella Weems did just that, and went on to be a part of a multi million dollar company and even earn a feature in Forbes! Her determination and creative problem solving are inspirations to any high school student choosing their extracurricular pursuits and writing their college application

Bella Weems
Bella Weems

At age 14, Bella dreamed of someday driving a new car. Her parents didn’t want her to rely on their funding, and told her that she would have to raise money herself. So Bella got creative. She used the money she earned from babysitting to create “floating lockets.” This idea turned into the custom jewelry company Origami Owl.

In 2012, the company generated $24 million in revenue, more than enough to pay for Weems’ new white Jeep (she calls the car Alice). Her amazing accomplishments, especially at such a young age, shows dedication and unique work ethic for someone of her age. Bella is a true example of how when you put your mind to something, you can do it!

We hope stories like Bella’s will inspire you to take risks in your extracurricular pursuits!

LorLop
CMU ‘21

Accepted to CMU, RPI, Stevens, New Jersey IT

Carnegie Mellon University Computer Engineering Student
yuzhushi
UMD ‘20

Accepted to UMD, JHU, Duke, Case, Swarthmore, Penn State

ryanbada

Accepted to UC Berkeley, UCSD, UC Irvine, UCSB, UCSC, CSULB, San Jose State, SDSU, Cal Poly, San Diego, U San Fran, Emerson

A first-generation student expected to attend UC Berkeley planning to major in Media Studies and minor in Journalism and Conservation and Resource Studies.
loisvve1

Accepted to Stanford, Yale, Columbia, UGA

Pre-Med, language enthusiast, professional sandwich artiste.