Incredible High School Students: Bella Weems

Imagine starting your own company at just 14! Bella Weems did just that, and went on to be a part of a multi million dollar company and even earn a feature in Forbes! Her determination and creative problem solving are inspirations to any high school student choosing their extracurricular pursuits and writing their college application

Bella Weems
Bella Weems

At age 14, Bella dreamed of someday driving a new car. Her parents didn’t want her to rely on their funding, and told her that she would have to raise money herself. So Bella got creative. She used the money she earned from babysitting to create “floating lockets.” This idea turned into the custom jewelry company Origami Owl.

In 2012, the company generated $24 million in revenue, more than enough to pay for Weems’ new white Jeep (she calls the car Alice). Her amazing accomplishments, especially at such a young age, shows dedication and unique work ethic for someone of her age. Bella is a true example of how when you put your mind to something, you can do it!

We hope stories like Bella’s will inspire you to take risks in your extracurricular pursuits!

Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
mm0222

Accepted to Cornell, BC, BU, UMich

Global and Public Health Sciences major at Cornell University
michellezhang

Accepted to Northwestern, Dartmouth, UC Berkeley, UChicago, Rice, UMich, USC

Aspiring entrepreneur interested in comp sci, sustainability, and art; applied to college as an econ/environmental science major; world's #1 phineas & ferb fan
lizolat

Accepted to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, JHU, Duke, Brown, Dartmouth, WashU, USF, Florida, UCF

Hello, my name is Elizabeth! I graduated from a public high school in Florida, and was accepted to all 11 colleges I applied to. I am now a student at Yale University studying bio!