Incredible High School Students: Tim Doner

How many languages do you speak? One, maybe two or three?  Maybe you speak five?  Now, imagine speaking over twenty.  Meet Tim Doner, who does just that - and has taught himself every one.

Tim Doner
Tim Doner

Tim Doner found an amazing passion when he was only 8 years old. After teaching himself French at such a young age, Doner realized he loved learning other languages, and was really good at picking it up. Now, he has taught himself 23 different languages, including Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, Dutch, Hindi, and Turkish.  He is considered a “polyglot”, meaning that he knows and uses several languages.  He keeps his language skills up to par by practicing often, speaking with others, and reading the newspaper in various languages every morning. 

This type of skill is incredibly impressive. Not only is it rare and extremely difficult, but it’s also useful. Colleges will appreciate the fact that Doner’s intellectual capacity, desire to learn, and passion for a specific subject.  He doesn’t yet know where he will be attending college, but he has mentioned that he could go on to travel, work with language education, or work in translation.  Take inspiration from Doner’s passion for languages and inject your own passion into your extracurriculars and college applications!

jenee_a

Accepted to Brown, UPenn, Cornell, BU, UMass

Hey! I'm a neuroscience major on the premed track, PLME student, and I love to dance in my free time!
Tulane ‘20

littlegreentre…

Accepted to Stanford, Cambridge, Princeton, Yale, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Swarthmore, Barnard, Wellesley, Duke, NYU, BU

overly ambitious, passionately curious, helplessly perfectionistic