Incredible High School Students: Tim Doner

How many languages do you speak? One, maybe two or three?  Maybe you speak five?  Now, imagine speaking over twenty.  Meet Tim Doner, who does just that - and has taught himself every one.

Tim Doner
Tim Doner

Tim Doner found an amazing passion when he was only 8 years old. After teaching himself French at such a young age, Doner realized he loved learning other languages, and was really good at picking it up. Now, he has taught himself 23 different languages, including Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, Dutch, Hindi, and Turkish.  He is considered a “polyglot”, meaning that he knows and uses several languages.  He keeps his language skills up to par by practicing often, speaking with others, and reading the newspaper in various languages every morning. 

This type of skill is incredibly impressive. Not only is it rare and extremely difficult, but it’s also useful. Colleges will appreciate the fact that Doner’s intellectual capacity, desire to learn, and passion for a specific subject.  He doesn’t yet know where he will be attending college, but he has mentioned that he could go on to travel, work with language education, or work in translation.  Take inspiration from Doner’s passion for languages and inject your own passion into your extracurriculars and college applications!

tifstar1997

Accepted to Cornell, CMU, Northwestern, JHU, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine

Cornell Engineering '19

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
elewal

Accepted to Brown, Cornell, CMU, Wesleyan, William & Mary, Case, Villanova, Binghamton, RPI, WPI

Hi! I'm a sophomore at Brown University studying Biochemistry and English. I love writing, baking, hiking, and music.

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...