Incredible High School Students: Tim Doner

How many languages do you speak? One, maybe two or three?  Maybe you speak five?  Now, imagine speaking over twenty.  Meet Tim Doner, who does just that - and has taught himself every one.

Tim Doner
Tim Doner

Tim Doner found an amazing passion when he was only 8 years old. After teaching himself French at such a young age, Doner realized he loved learning other languages, and was really good at picking it up. Now, he has taught himself 23 different languages, including Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, Dutch, Hindi, and Turkish.  He is considered a “polyglot”, meaning that he knows and uses several languages.  He keeps his language skills up to par by practicing often, speaking with others, and reading the newspaper in various languages every morning. 

This type of skill is incredibly impressive. Not only is it rare and extremely difficult, but it’s also useful. Colleges will appreciate the fact that Doner’s intellectual capacity, desire to learn, and passion for a specific subject.  He doesn’t yet know where he will be attending college, but he has mentioned that he could go on to travel, work with language education, or work in translation.  Take inspiration from Doner’s passion for languages and inject your own passion into your extracurriculars and college applications!

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!

BrownDomer
Notre Dame ‘20

Accepted to BU, Emory, Swarthmore, Notre Dame

Hello! I'm an international student from Ethiopia and I'll be majoring in Biology. I'd love to share all the tips and tricks I've learned from my rather unique college application experience with you!

Here to mentor and guide you!

USC Merit-Based Scholarships You Should Know About

Worried about how you can afford to attend a private university? If you’re applying to the University of Southern California, there are a few merit-based scholarships you should know to alleviate the cost. As...

Student Insight: What to Expect from College Interviews

Not sure what to expect from a college interview? We asked 5 students to share their college interview experiences with you. First thing you should know about college interviews is that they are not required. More...