Incredible High School Students: Tim Doner

How many languages do you speak? One, maybe two or three?  Maybe you speak five?  Now, imagine speaking over twenty.  Meet Tim Doner, who does just that - and has taught himself every one.

Tim Doner
Tim Doner

Tim Doner found an amazing passion when he was only 8 years old. After teaching himself French at such a young age, Doner realized he loved learning other languages, and was really good at picking it up. Now, he has taught himself 23 different languages, including Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, Dutch, Hindi, and Turkish.  He is considered a “polyglot”, meaning that he knows and uses several languages.  He keeps his language skills up to par by practicing often, speaking with others, and reading the newspaper in various languages every morning. 

This type of skill is incredibly impressive. Not only is it rare and extremely difficult, but it’s also useful. Colleges will appreciate the fact that Doner’s intellectual capacity, desire to learn, and passion for a specific subject.  He doesn’t yet know where he will be attending college, but he has mentioned that he could go on to travel, work with language education, or work in translation.  Take inspiration from Doner’s passion for languages and inject your own passion into your extracurriculars and college applications!

niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local dancing astronaut with a passion for the political things in life.
yujin2023

Accepted to Brown, Amherst, Duke, Emory, Santa Clara, USC, Pacific, Vanderbilt, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSB, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine

Nature lover, STEM nerd. Will likely be late because of who I am as a person.
brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire

Hello! I'm a senior at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School, and I am concentrating in finance and statistics.