What Comes Next? Q&A with AfterCollege’s Roberto Angulo

Experiencing college is truly important, as it helps build your career aspirations. Whether you’re looking to start a business of your own or kick off your career at a well-established company, it’s important to understand the brains behind the job world. AfterCollege Founder Roberto Angulo shares with us his thoughts on being an EdTech founder:

admitsee q&a with aftercollege robert angulo

Where did you go to high school? College? Originally in Nogales, Mexico, at a school named Fray Pedro de Gante. I later transferred to Salpointe Catholic High School in Tucson, AZ. I went to Stanford University for college.

How long ago did you start AfterCollege? I co-founded AfterCollege in 1999.

How many people currently work at AfterCollege? 35.

What did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to start a business and have a positive impact on the world. I wasn’t sure exactly how I’d do it though.

Can you recount the exact moment you came up with the idea for your startup? Yes, it was sometime during junior/senior year of college. Some classmates and I were wondering what we could do with our web development skills. We were complaining about the on-campus interview process at the time, and we decided to figure out a better way to connect students, including ourselves and fellow classmates, with employers.

What’s your favorite piece of feedback you get from users?  The most common feedback we get is that, through AfterCollege, students find out about relevant jobs and internships from companies that they may not have thought about.

Do you have a personal motto? Favorite quote? “Ask for forgiveness instead of permission.” In other words, don’t be afraid to step on toes or try something new. If it goes wrong, you move on. But if you stumble onto something great because you pushed your limits, then more power to you.

Did you intern anywhere during college? If you could change those internships, what would you do differently? The one I look back on is my internship with Intuit. I helped build the Quicken beta website, the first user feedback collection system of its kind. I really had an impact there and loved the internship. Intuit was a large company then and even larger now. In hindsight, I should have moved around the company more, met more people and learned more about that business instead of focusing on just my project. No regrets, though. It was a great experience and I learned a lot.

What was the worst job you ever had and what did you learn from it? I don’t know if I have a “worst job.” I’ve learned a lot from all my jobs. When I was in college, I was an office assistant at the vice-provost office. The work may have been tedious, but I appreciated it because I learned that you should be proactive and never sit still waiting for a task. Always look at how to improve and how to contribute.  

If you had a younger sibling graduating from college this year, what’s one piece of advice you would give them in choosing a career? To use AfterCollege of course, to get job and internship recommendations. I would also tell them to talk to as many people as possible in their field of interest to make sure they are genuinely passionate about the industry they’re entering.

What’s the biggest mistake a new employee can make? The biggest mistake is to not ask questions or to ask for help. People are sometimes afraid to admit they don’t know something. The reality is that when coming into a new job, you don’t know much. Ask questions and don’t be afraid to admit you don’t know the answer to something.

Describe a typical Monday. Monday’s I get up at about 6:30-7am. I have breakfast with my family and help get my kids ready for school. By the time I get to the office, I will have already read the bulk of my emails and responded to most of them, and maybe have had a couple of calls. I try to be out and about as well, meeting with potential partner companies, clients, and potential hires.n In the afternoon, I focus on tackling items or projects on my to do list. I’m usually home by 6pm and I go for a run.

Describe your perfect weekend to get some downtime. The perfect weekend for me is a quiet weekend. Saturday morning coffee and breakfast is something I look forward to, because there are no interruptions and there’s no rush to get anywhere. Being with my family and friends is my priority. If I can get a run or two in during the weekend, even better.  

If you could edit your past, what would you change? I tend to not look back too often or have regrets. I don’t know if I would change anything.

Did you take any classes in college that changed your career plans? What? How? Yes, Econ 1 with Michael Boskin. His class got me interested in economics and I chose it as a major. Decision Analysis with Dr. Schacter was another class that impacted me. The decision analysis tools he taught us are tools that I still use today in business.

What’s the last thing you splurged on? Two pairs of nice running shoes.

What do you consider the world’s best invention? The Internet. It’s accelerating information sharing and learning.

Choose 3 people to have dinner with (dead or alive). Pres. Obama, Angela Merkel and Pope Francis. These are three world leaders who’ve inherited big problems and are doing a great job fixing them and doing so through strong leadership.

What smartphone app would you have a hard time giving up? Whatsapp. It’s how I stay connected to friends and family who live far away.

If you were to restart your business, what would you do differently? I would spend a lot of time choosing the founding team. Team dynamic is important, and you want to make sure you remain aligned and stay together for the long term.

Who has the most influence in your life? My family.

What’s the worst piece of advice you ever received? To not start AfterCollege. I got this from a career counselor back in 1997.

When are you happiest? When I am with family and friends.

If you’re just starting the college application process and are looking for help, advice, and more inside tips, search through thousands of successful college application profiles to find the help you need. Read essays, see stats, and see how students got into college, or get personalized college application help from a mentor. If you’re about to graduate and are looking for a job, AfterCollege is a completely free service for students and college faculty. They provide ongoing scholarship opportunities for current students of all academic backgrounds. Through their thousands of internships, entry-level jobs, and employers, they are dedicated to helping every student their perfect career path. Sign up today, and explore jobs based on your major and interests!

aa192002

Accepted to Stanford, Dartmouth, Drexel, Wisconsin, IWU, UChicago

A Boy Having Intrinsically Nuanced Acumen for Vacuity
jpm13
Rochester

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
jcollica524
Emory

Accepted to Emory, Tulane, GA Tech, GWU, Binghamton, UMD, UMich, Northeastern, USC

Hey! I'm a hard-working data/business major who loves to help high school students with college apps! Message me with any questions!
longhornlove
UT Austin

Accepted to UT Austin, Fordham, U of Houston, UBC, Texas A&M

Hey there! I’m Tara, I’m an American born half Colombian, half Persian International Baccalaureate student attending UT Austin in the fall!