My College Application Process: Townsend Harris High School

This week, we asked a few of our high school interns to share their college application process and what it looks like at their school. Here’s an inside look at Townsend Harris High School in Queens, NY.

The college process at my school begins with a guidance counselor meeting. Each 11th grade student has an individual meeting with his or her guidance counselor that lasts one period (about 40 minutes). The meetings, which are assigned, run from February to May. Each student discusses various topics with the guidance counselor- standardized testing options, teacher recommendations, the essay and the college application process in general. The student and the counselor discuss potential schools, both “reaches” and “targets”. Naviance is a very useful website throughout the college process.  Each student has an account through which he can access information about colleges, careers, and summer opportunities (i.e. volunteering, jobs, test prep programs). Naviance allows students to look up specific colleges and match themselves with colleges based on their preferences. After the initial college meetings are over, students can sent up additional meetings to address any concerns with their guidance counselors. 

Most of the students from Townsend Harris end up going to CUNY or SUNY schools, mainly because they are the most affordable. Many students are accepted into Top 50 colleges, but choose not to enroll because they cannot pay the tuition and are not offered enough financial aid/scholarship money. A decent amount of students apply and are accepted into Ivy League schools as well; Cornell is a popular choice. According to Naviance, in 2013, 18 students out of 76 that applied to Cornell were accepted. Other popular choices are Northeastern University and Boston University. 

extreana
Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.

Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...

The ABCs of the ACT
The ABCs of the ACT

When you’re starting your ACT prep, sifting through test materials can be overwhelming. There’s a lot of information, both helpful and unhelpful, about the exam out there. So how do you know where...