My Favorite Classes: USC

You never know what courses you’ll wind up liking the most at college: for smileysabrina, many of the courses she wound up liking the most were in subjects she didn’t expect to be interested in at all! Here are some of the favorite courses she has taken at the University of Southern California

The History of China

It’s suffice to say that I definitely did not expect to enjoy the History of China very much when I first signed up for it. It fulfilled a graduation requirement and was one of the only options available when I registered for classes. However, the class wound up being incredibly interesting, probably because the professor was a very engaging, lively man whose passion for what he was teaching was so infectious! He chronicled China’s history to us students as though he was telling an epic story, and I still remember of the more memorable anecdotes from the class today even though I took it three semesters ago.

Photography and Writing

I took this class as part of a special honors alternative to the traditional general education system, and found myself fascinated by the subject because it provided an untraditional look at photography. With the advent of smartphones and instant photo-enhancing and sharing devices like Photoshop and Instagram, modern photography is worlds apart from what it used to be like. Back in the day, just taking and viewing an image was quite labor-intensive, as it required the use of film, a darkroom, etc. Such a process is very different form the instant gratification we’re used to getting when we snap a photo using our iPhones today! The perspective the class gave me glimpse into the evolution of photography was, which was why I liked it so much—in addition to the fact that the professor let us experiment with creating our own daguerreotypes as part of the class!

Marketing Fundamentals

This class is one of the few I’ve taken from within my school’s business school, and as such, it was much more focused on teaching us concrete skills and hard facts than a lot of the other, more liberal-artsy classes I’ve taken. The class was really enjoyable for me because I held a marketing internship at the same time as I was taking the class, so I could actually see the practicality of the things I was learning, as I was directly applying them to the tasks I was assigned in my internship.

Comment and let us know what your favorite college classes has been so far!

uhoh29
Johns Hopkins ‘19

Accepted to Johns Hopkins, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Junior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars

Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...