My Favorite Classes: USC

You never know what courses you’ll wind up liking the most at college: for smileysabrina, many of the courses she wound up liking the most were in subjects she didn’t expect to be interested in at all! Here are some of the favorite courses she has taken at the University of Southern California

The History of China

It’s suffice to say that I definitely did not expect to enjoy the History of China very much when I first signed up for it. It fulfilled a graduation requirement and was one of the only options available when I registered for classes. However, the class wound up being incredibly interesting, probably because the professor was a very engaging, lively man whose passion for what he was teaching was so infectious! He chronicled China’s history to us students as though he was telling an epic story, and I still remember of the more memorable anecdotes from the class today even though I took it three semesters ago.

Photography and Writing

I took this class as part of a special honors alternative to the traditional general education system, and found myself fascinated by the subject because it provided an untraditional look at photography. With the advent of smartphones and instant photo-enhancing and sharing devices like Photoshop and Instagram, modern photography is worlds apart from what it used to be like. Back in the day, just taking and viewing an image was quite labor-intensive, as it required the use of film, a darkroom, etc. Such a process is very different form the instant gratification we’re used to getting when we snap a photo using our iPhones today! The perspective the class gave me glimpse into the evolution of photography was, which was why I liked it so much—in addition to the fact that the professor let us experiment with creating our own daguerreotypes as part of the class!

Marketing Fundamentals

This class is one of the few I’ve taken from within my school’s business school, and as such, it was much more focused on teaching us concrete skills and hard facts than a lot of the other, more liberal-artsy classes I’ve taken. The class was really enjoyable for me because I held a marketing internship at the same time as I was taking the class, so I could actually see the practicality of the things I was learning, as I was directly applying them to the tasks I was assigned in my internship.

Comment and let us know what your favorite college classes has been so far!

jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship
kltaylor96

Accepted to Duke, Northwestern, Elon , William & Mary, Centre, Campbell

I am someone who always shoots for the moon so that if I miss, I will land among the stars.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...

Cornell University Welcomes 1,533 Students to the Class of 2022

Universities share record-breaking statistics every year when it comes to college applications and this year was no different at Cornell University. Cornell University continued to break two different records three years in a row. Earlier...