5 Ways to Tackle Personal Finance

Personal and general finance are not topics that most high school or college students know about these days. Only five US states require students to take a semester of personal finance classes, so plenty of students leave home with little to no knowledge of how to make financially sound decisions. 

personal finance tips for high school and college students
Whether you’re just starting to learn about finance or you’re a discount and budgeting master, here are some basic tips that every student should know about owning your personal finances:

1. Use Apps. While it might sound odd, finance apps are the wave of the future. Most banks utilize Android and iOS apps to make the stresses of finances easy and accessible, while other companies (like Mint) are making it easier to keep track of your money.

2. Set Goals. Goal setting is one of the most important lessons to learn early on, especially when it comes to personal finance. Understanding how much to spend and what to spend on isn’t an easy task, but taking time to map out your fixed costs and variable costs will help a lot.

Applying to college next year?
View the application files, essays and advice of accepted students.

3. Simulate Your Budget. These days, there are plenty of online tools that you can use to help you practice budgeting. Budget Challenge is one tool that will give you a basic understanding of real life situations.

4. Make Mistakes Early. Falling flat on your face certainly feels embarrassing, and is rarely the best outcome. But making a mistake here and there can be a great way to learn.

5. Be Open, Ask Questions. Plenty of students out there are still under parental supervision, so it’s more than okay to ask when you don’t understand something. Financial terms and concepts can get sticky very easily, so it’s common to get tripped up by something you don’t quite get.

College is where you’ll spend four years of your life learning, developing critical skill sets, and expanding your social circle. Make an informed choice by talking to current students on our mentorship platform. Access 60,000+ successful college application essays and advice answers uploaded by college students - plus, they get paid when you view them.

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.
htownbrown

Accepted to Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, UPenn, Pomona, Williams, Amherst, Claremont (CMC), Northwestern, Vanderbilt, USC, JHU, UC Berkeley, UT Austin, UNC, Tulane, UMich, Georgetown

An aspiring lawyer who wants to make a difference in the world.
mlotfi_

Accepted to Georgetown, American, GWU, BU

Georgetown Transfer from UMass Boston going into my Sophomore year (AFROTC, ATHLETE)