Success Is No Accident: Q&A With Tutree’s Founder Pranay Nath

This week, we have another Q&A - this time, with Tutree’s Founder Pranay Nath. He talks about everything, from creating a startup idea to a less-than-ideal job in the forestry department. 

Where did you go to high school? College? High School: DPS, New Delhi, India; College: Auburn University , Auburn, AL

What did you want to be when you grew up? Scientist, researcher

Can you recount the exact moment you came up with the idea for your startup?

I used Uber for the first time to go out. The experience was ecstatic. We were already running a small tutoring company and I wanted my customers to have the same experience of being able to get a tutor on demand when in dire need.

What’s your favorite piece of feedback / thanks you get from users?

Every time a student studies with our amazing tutors, there is an “aha” moment and a wow factor - “WOW you made this so easy to understand!” followed by a genuine thanks for the help our users get from the peer tutors.

Do you have a personal motto? Favorite quote?

Anyone can learn/achieve anything with repetitive practice- perseverance. Quote: Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do. - Pele

Did you intern anywhere during college? If you could change those internships, what would you do differently?

No I did not. Most of my free time at college was spent teaching other students.

What was the worst job you ever had and what did you learn from it?

I worked as a lab assistant in the forestry department for a semester in college. I had to grind leaves from different regions in Southeast, which grad students had collected so they could run chemical tests on them. What I hated about the job was, I had to wear a mask all the time. I did learn to enjoy boring repetitive work and able to focus while doing it.

If you had a younger sibling graduating from college this year, what’s one piece of advice you would give them in choosing a career?

Choose a career in a field you have passion for, so you will enjoy every day of it.

What’s the biggest mistake a new employee can make?

Not pushing your boss to give you challenging work.

How many times do you hit snooze in the morning?

Zero. I automatically wake up at 7 AM. I hate alarms and hardly use them only if I have a flight to catch.

Describe a typical Monday.

With a startup, I am always working - even on Saturday and Sundays. So Monday is not a special day, but I get to see more people at the office!

Describe your perfect weekend to get some downtime.

Spend time with my family, see parents, go to Napa Valley

What are you reading right now?

Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher and William Ury

If you could edit your past, what would you change?

If I could change my past, I should have gone to college in Northern California to be closer to Startup scene and start early

What’s the last thing you splurged on?

Last thing I splurged on was buying my tesla p90d

What do you consider the world’s best invention?

Airplanes - every time I fly, it still amazes me how human beings can fly such a huge machine.

Choose 3 people to have dinner with (dead or alive).

Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Elon Musk.

What smartphone app would you have a hard time giving up?

Google Maps.

What’s one activity / habit you wish you had time to pick up?

Sailing.

Who has the most influence in your life?

My dad.

What’s the worst piece of advice you ever received?

To quit my startup. Glad I didn’t take that advice!

When are you happiest?

When I am with my family.

Help destress your application process by checking out accepted application files from students who have already gotten in. Read essays, find stats, and see advice answers on various parts of college life to find out where to apply and how to get in. We’ve helped thousands of students get into their dream schools already, and we’re excited to continue to help more. 

niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.
Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
VivienneEve23

Accepted to UC Berkeley, Brown, Claremont (CMC), Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Northwestern, Pomona, Stanford, San Diego, Vanderbilt, UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly, Cal Poly Pomona, Washington

Los Angeles kid attending UC Berkeley, Class of 2020! Planning on studying business or economics. Go Bears!

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.

What should you do as a high school student over the summer? If that’s a question you’re asking yourself, relax. Spend your summer break wisely, meaning find a good balance between enjoying your...