Last Minute Tips for Early Applicants

The early application deadline is literally around the corner. You have this entire weekend to polish up your application before you finally hit submit. For all those last minute questions, we put together an AMA session just for you. 

Date: Sunday, October 30th, 2016

Time: 11AM PT - 1PM PT

Who: Stephanie Shyu, founder of AdmitSee, and the rest of the team! 

How: Ask any last minute questions you may have about applying early by commenting on this blog post. We’ll reply directly to your comment. Feel free to respond with any follow up questions! 

Before that kicks in though, our College Admits share some advice about applying early: 

jl15942

Princeton University ‘19

I wish I would have had more confidence in myself. I think applying early helped my application by showing my interest, but I kept debating whether I was being too ambitious. I needed a little push from parents to apply to Princeton early instead of securing a spot at a school with a higher acceptance rate.

gw1998

Stanford University ‘20

Use EA/ED to your advantage. Everyone knows that you use ED to demonstrate interest in your first choice. I didn’t have a first choice, so ED wasn’t an option for me. Most people overlook EA as a way to maximize your advantage. Firstly, EA does boost your application (in my opinion, e.g. for schools like UChicago) because it demonstrates interest. More importantly, I think you can use EA as a way to gauge the competitiveness of your application and adjust your RD applications to suit this. For example, after being accepted to Notre Dame and UChicago EA, I decided not to apply to any safety/match schools and focus on reach schools. This meant I could apply to more reach schools (my school has a limit of 6 applications) and maximize my chances for those schools!

sjames18

George Washington University ‘18

I honestly believe that applying early decision to my school is what increased my chance at getting accepted. Not only does it show that you are truly interested but if you are an average student with a decent amount of extracurricular’s and you feel a school is the place for you, apply early. Your interest shows and so does the effort.

fgscivittaro

University of Chicago ‘19

I, like many other students, used Early Action/Early Decision to apply to my dream school in the desperate hopes of increasing my chances of getting in. It didn’t work however: I was simply deferred. Being deferred isn’t the worst thing; it gives you another chance. But it does absolutely nothing for you and is, frankly, a waste of an Early Action. Now that I have experienced the entire college apps process, here’s what I would change: I would have applied EA to a fit school, one that I genuinely would consider attending but that I would also have a pretty good chance of getting into. That way, I would have already had an acceptance from a good school I liked while I was finishing up my other apps. I think that would’ve done wonders for my stress, knowing that I had already been accepted somewhere good. And it also would have been a more effective use of my EA than just getting deferred.

michlu

Stanford University

I was deferred early action and got in regular. In between, I really stepped up my game by further developing the ballet program I was leading, getting involved in neuroscience research, and winning a few academic awards. Don’t underestimate the power of an appeal. Also, in the months between early action and regular, I really developed who I was and what I wanted. I sent in a brief statement about my revised goals and ambitions, and I think that made a difference.

​See you in the comment section below soon! 

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
extreana
Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.

Ryanh914

Accepted to American, Cornell, Northwestern, Florida, Ohio State, FSU, UNC

UNC '18 from Charlotte, NC.

4 Tips to Manage Work Life Balance in High School

Adults might be surprised, but high school students also find it difficult to juggle a good work life balance.We’ve all been there. You’ve had to cancel your plan with your friends because...