Inside Look: The Typical Weekend at USC

Everyone, including college students, works hard for the weekends when you can put aside the stress of being a student and explore what the campus and the college town you’re in has to offer! Smileysabrina, a student at USC, shares how she spends her typical weekends and the multitude of fun activities to get involved in on campus as a Trojan and what it’s like to be a college student in Los Angeles.

At USC, it’s pretty common for students to have few or even no classes on Fridays, so weekend festivities often kick off as early as Thursday nights. Many of you probably already know, but if you didn’t, USC has a pretty big Greek scene. So, a typical student’s weekend begins with attending a fraternity party on “the Row,” followed by a Friday class or part-time internship the next day. Friday and Saturday nights tend to be big going-out nights for USC students, and parties through the Greek system or other on-campus organizations are held fairly frequently. Upperclassmen who are over 21 might venture further off campus on a weekend night to explore different nightlife options: the Standard rooftop is a well-liked downtown bar, and Hollywood nightclubs like Supperclub and Create, with their trendy vibe and young, hip crowds, are popular among students as well. Those who are big fans of music will often attend shows at well-known places like the Wiltern or Bardot, which are just a couple of the myriad concert venues scattered around LA.

Depending on the season, an SC student might spend their Saturdays and Sundays tanning on the quad, perusing the nearby Grove or Americana shopping centers, or heading down to Third Street Promenade and the adjacent Santa Monica and Venice beaches for a relaxing day of tanning and surfing. But when midterm and finals season comes around, you’re much more likely to find students holed up in Leavey library, or one of the (more pleasant) study cafes in the area, like the popular Nature’s brew— especially on Sunday evenings.

What any SC student does on a given weekend is definitely based on the student’s individual preferences and academic schedules, but these are some of the more popular leisure time activities you might find a student engaged in on a random Saturday or Sunday.

Comment and let us know what you normally do during the weekends!

Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.

Hi! I'm an incoming sophomore transfer at Williams who's passionate about technology, STEM education, social justice, and design. I've learned a thing or two after navigating this hectic process twice now, and would love to help guide others through it!

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring English teacher.

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...