Study Abroad: A Cornell Student’s Year in Europe

Imagine being lucky enough to study abroad in TWO different countries for a whole year!  Jacqueline, a senior at Cornell, did just that. She told us about her incredible European year and her advice for you as you plan your study abroad experience.

I was fortunate enough to have studied abroad for a full year of college. I spent my junior year in Europe. First, I went to Cannes, France where I lived and learned French at the College International de Cannes. Living right on the French Riviera, I went to sleep to the sound of the Mediterranean and woke up to palm trees, sun and pain au chocolat. It was a fabulous experience. But that is not to say the academics were not challenging. I had French class 3 hours a day, 5 days a week and a twice-weekly 3.5 hour seminar in English about French business and culture. What made it a remarkable experience however was the people, as the college had students from all over the world. The combination of intensive language study, the wonderful climate, and the interesting people made it a semester to remember.

My second semester was spent it Rome, Italy. Attending a US college’s program in Rome meant that my classmates were all American. And again, I took an intensive language course, as well as 3 other seminars in English; I had a full academic schedule. But being in such a major European hub, I was able to travel all over Europe. On weekends I was either taking the train to Torino or Venice or Naples or I was flying to France or Spain or Hungary.

The most important thing I discovered was that you need to be flexible when studying abroad. Living in another country is a lot different than vacationing in one. I kept an open mind and a relaxed schedule and I had a wonderful time; so can you. Ciao!

nyudotedu

Accepted to NYU, BC, BU, GWU, Northeastern

I was born and raised in Korea, but I've studied in in U.S. boarding school for 7 years. I love people, building, and cars so I love every cities in the world.
uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Junior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars
Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.
SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...