Supplemental Essays: Demonstrating Genuine Interest

Struggling to write creative and meaningful supplemental essays? Jared, an undergraduate business student at Northeastern, shared his advice for writing supplemental essays

When I applied to colleges last year, almost all of them asked for extra essays in addition to the Common App essay. While this may just seem like extra work for all of us applicants, it is definitely a chance to make your application shine.

As I was applying for undergraduate business programs, I knew that the admissions officers would want to see direction, focus and motivation as all of those things are crucial in business. So, I laid out my plans for college including why I was interested in their academic program, what attracted me to their school in the first place and even went into what extracurriculars I planned on participating in if I was accepted.

I think was able to make myself stand out from other applicants in theses supplemental essays by showing how I had been preparing for an undergraduate education in business while still in high school. In high school I took a few business-related courses and I made sure to point out that I took those electives because I was extremely interested in the business world and wanted to start learning about it right away. I believe that demonstrated my interest at a deeper level than other applicants. All in all, I would suggest that you use the supplemental essays to do just that: supplement your application. Do not repeat anything you mentioned in your Common App essay, and focus on really adding another dimension.

pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.
ayinUChicago

Accepted to Duke, Brown, NYU, UChicago, UNC, East Carolina, NC State

I'm a class of 2018'er at UChicago studying Economics and Psychology! Super interested in start-ups and economics.
Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!

Early Admission Class of 2022 Notification Dates

What date do early decision results start to roll in?College applicants vying for a spot in the Class of 2022 will hear back from their first applications throughout this upcoming week. We’ll update this...

Engineering Summer Academy Program at Penn

Interested in engineering? Take it to the next level this upcoming summer by applying to the Engineering Summer Academy Program at University of Pennsylvania. Engineering Summer Academy at Penn (ESAP) The Engineering Summer Academy at...

5 Questions to Ask Your College Interviewer

Don’t be surprised to open your email and receive an interview invite with one of the colleges you applied to! College interview season is here. While the college interview is not mandatory, if you...