This Week’s Feature: Vanderbilt

Applied to Vanderbilt and waiting to hear back from them? Well, in the meantime, you can read up on some Vanderbilt traditions you may soon be participating in! As a Vandy freshman, kkball96 shares with us all the traditions she’s come to experience herself:

Want to know more? Click on kkball96's profile!
Want to know more? Click on kkball96’s profile!

Founded: 1873

Location: Nashville, TN

Type: Private University

Mascot: Commodores

Size: Medium

Undergraduate Students: 6,851

Setting: Large campus in an urban setting

Traditions:

The Ingram Commons:

Commons is the beautiful freshman campus at Vanderbilt, where there are 10 Houses (dorms) where all first-year students live. The campus also has a Commons Center, complete with a cafeteria, study rooms, and a gym (nicknamed the “Estrogym” due to the high percentage of females that frequent it). The Commons was created to instill unity within the freshman grade, and is only a short walk away from “Main Campus,” where the rest of the students live. 

The concept of the houses is important because it creates smaller communities within the freshman class. Throughout the year, each house competes with the others in order to win the “Commons Cup”. Competitions include flag football and other fun sports and activities, but also categories like least energy consumption.

One of the most unique things about the houses is that each has a faculty head of house, a professor that lives in the house with their family. The faculty head of house hosts weekly events and really gets to know the members of his/her house, along with giving meaningful advice.

tngreen55593

Accepted to Georgetown, UT Austin, Texas Christian, Texas A&M, Richmond, Pepperdine

A hard worker that is living the dream.
niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.
kPurl

Accepted to MIT, CalTech, UNC, Duke, Stanford, Harvard, UPenn

A hardworking student whose applications demonstrated my interest in STEM.
vicamit

Accepted to Florida, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Miami, Northeastern, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Rice

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar at Vanderbilt and art enthusiast