This Week’s Feature: Vanderbilt

Applied to Vanderbilt and waiting to hear back from them? Well, in the meantime, you can read up on some Vanderbilt traditions you may soon be participating in! As a Vandy freshman, kkball96 shares with us all the traditions she’s come to experience herself:

Want to know more? Click on kkball96's profile!
Want to know more? Click on kkball96’s profile!

Founded: 1873

Location: Nashville, TN

Type: Private University

Mascot: Commodores

Size: Medium

Undergraduate Students: 6,851

Setting: Large campus in an urban setting

Traditions:

The Ingram Commons:

Commons is the beautiful freshman campus at Vanderbilt, where there are 10 Houses (dorms) where all first-year students live. The campus also has a Commons Center, complete with a cafeteria, study rooms, and a gym (nicknamed the “Estrogym” due to the high percentage of females that frequent it). The Commons was created to instill unity within the freshman grade, and is only a short walk away from “Main Campus,” where the rest of the students live. 

The concept of the houses is important because it creates smaller communities within the freshman class. Throughout the year, each house competes with the others in order to win the “Commons Cup”. Competitions include flag football and other fun sports and activities, but also categories like least energy consumption.

One of the most unique things about the houses is that each has a faculty head of house, a professor that lives in the house with their family. The faculty head of house hosts weekly events and really gets to know the members of his/her house, along with giving meaningful advice.

SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.

pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.