Top 10 Competitive Summer Programs for Juniors

As we’ve mentioned in previous blog posts, the summer between your junior and senior year of high school is a great time to differentiate yourself. Here’s a list of ten extremely competitive summer programs for people interested in business and technology. This list was compiled by our intern, Sultan R.. He’s currently in the ENDEVVR program listed below, which accepts jus 15% of its applicants! If you’re a rising junior, I recommend looking into these programs now!

1.  Minority Introduction to Engineering and Science (MITES)

Since 1975, this six-week residential program has leveraged a demanding academic atmosphere to help students develop the skills and confidence needed for success in technical fields. Along with calculus, physics, natural science, and humanities courses, students take a hands-on elective course and participate in lab tours and social events. MITES serves up to 80 student per year

No Cost

2.  Harvard Secondary School Program

Alongside college and adult students, you can earn college credit in Harvard courses and explore subjects not available at your high school. You study with distinguished faculty, use state-of-the-art labs, and have access to the largest university library system in the world

Cost: $11,000, which includes tuition for two 4-credit courses or one 8-credit course, room and board fees, and a health insurance fee (if needed)

3.  UPenn Management & Technology Summer Institute

The Management & Technology Summer Institute (M&TSI) is a rigorous and rewarding for-credit summer program for rising high school seniors and a select few rising high school juniors interested in exploring the integration of technological concepts and management principles. Open to all high school students.

Cost: $6,000.00 (including tuition, housing, meals, and weekend excursions)

4.  Wharton Leadership in the Business World

Sponsored by Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Leadership in the Business World (LBW) is an intensive summer program for a select group of rising high school seniors who want an introduction to a top-notch undergraduate business education and the opportunity to hone their leadership, teamwork, and communication skills. Open to rising juniors and seniors. Available in San Francisco and Pennsylvania.

Cost: $6,595  (covers tuition, housing, most meals, activities, and weekend trips)

5.  Wharton Leadership Education and Development

The Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) Program at Wharton engages youth of diverse backgrounds in the world of business. Founded at Wharton in 1980 by Harold Haskins and Bill Whitney, the four-week LEAD Program hosts 30 bright and accomplished students from across the nation on the University of Pennsylvania campus.Open to rising juniors and seniors.

Cost: $2,800.00 (Includes $2,450.00 tuition and $350.00 activity fee) 

6.  Yale Global Scholars

An official Yale University program, participants in the Yale Young Global Scholars Program for Outstanding High School Students can expect an amazing summer experience studying in beautiful campus lecture halls and classrooms, living in Yale’s historic residential colleges, eating in award-winning dining halls, meeting a talented community of fellow students, engaging with world-renowned professors, and interacting with extraordinary visiting practitioners.

Cost: $5,000  (instruction, housing in one of Yale’s historic residential colleges, three meals per day, linens, and processing fees.)

7.  Telluride Association Summer Program

A Telluride Association Summer Program (TASP) is a six-week educational experience for high school juniors that offers challenges and rewards rarely encountered in secondary school or even college. Available at UMichigan and Cornell.

No Cost

8.  MIT Launch

Entrepreneurship program for high school students held at MIT in Cambridge, MA. High school students will become entrepreneurs in each of two programs during the summer of 2014. Launch also inspires interest in entrepreneurship at the high school level and provides foundational concepts and tools through Launch Weekends 

Cost: $5,290, including tuition, housing, and activities 

9.  ENDEVVR at Georgia Tech

Summer entrepreneurship program for high school students. Every year endevvr helps talented students start and fund real companies. By leveraging their university, corporate, and startup partnerships, they rapidly turn their students into successful entrepreneurs over the course of the summer at Georgia Tech.

Cost: $5850,  (housing, all meals, activities and tuition)

10.  PAVE at Vanderbilt

PAVE is a five-week Vanderbilt summer program designed for students who are planning to enter a college engineering, pre-med/healthcare, science, or technology program. In addition to strengthening your background and having fun, PAVE can help you decide if an engineering, medical/healthcare, science, or humanities degree is really the field for you.

Cost: Commuter: $895 / week; Residential: $1,240 / week

Don’t forget to check out college application files and essays of accepted students! Unlock a package of profiles at your top choice school to learn about more summer programs accepted students have participated in! 

clovescirrus

Accepted to Princeton, Dartmouth, Rice, Johns Hopkins, UVA, UMD, CMU, Vanderbilt

Princeton class of 2020, choir nerd, lover of language. Writing is my favorite thing to do, and I'd love to help you brainstorm/write/revise.

uhoh29
Johns Hopkins ‘19

Accepted to Johns Hopkins, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Junior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...