Top 10 Dorm Room Themes

Having trouble decorating your dorm room this semester?  Feeling the white walls are a little too bare? Take a tip from these 10 dorm room themes and make your room your own!

1. Minimalist

Embrace the white! Stick with your neutral color palette, adding shelves and pillows that match your walls. Cut down on the clutter with space-saving filing cabinets.

2. Preppy

Embrace summer year round! Stock up on monograms, chevron, Lilly Pulitzer prints, and Vineyard Vines stickers. Etsy is a great resource for custom preppy head boards.

3. Edgy

Bold colors like red and black create an edgy dorm room. Cool graphic prints, and simple bedding shine here. If you can’t paint your room, try removable wallpaper!

4. Glamorous

Channel old Hollywood glam with a pink, black, and gold color scheme. Find posters of your favorite glam style icon!

5. Bohemian

In a bohemian bedroom rich jewel tones are the way to go. Hang an intricate tapestry with rich colors for a cheap but stylish decor option.

6. Shabby Chic

Soft neutrals and pastels work great with shabby chic decor. Look for bedding with nautical themes or small floral patterns to complete the look!

7. Nerd-gasm

Embrace your inner nerd with quirky posters, shelves of figurines, and lots of merch. Laid back tones are also a great backdrop for the brightly colored fan art!

8. Athletic

Perfect for showing off your favorite teams! You can make your favorite sport the focus with a well-placed themed rug or pillow.

9. Hipster

Show off what inspires you. Look for beautiful photography and motivational quote decals to put on your walls. Fairy lights or christmas lights are also a must!

10. Rock Star

Hang up your favorite band posters and vinyls. Keep your guitar in the corner for easy access when a late night jam calls!

MichaelR

Accepted to Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, UC Berkeley, JHU, Vanderbilt, Rice, UMich, UCLA, UNC, UT Austin, Washington, Ohio State, UCSD

Midwestern kid who loves molecular biology and electronic dance music. Let me help you edit your essays!

Hi! I'm a Williams '19 transfer who's passionate about social justice, tech, and STEM. I'd love to share what I learned from navigating this hectic process twice!

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...

The ABCs of the ACT
The ABCs of the ACT

When you’re starting your ACT prep, sifting through test materials can be overwhelming. There’s a lot of information, both helpful and unhelpful, about the exam out there. So how do you know where...