UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US.

The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university in the United States. With 17 campuses all over the state, UNC has its main campus at Chapel Hill and over 176,000 students statewide.

UNC Chapel Hill is recognized as one of the 8 public Ivy League universities because of its academic excellence. Among the academic programs they offer, UNC Chapel Hill’s undergraduate business is particularly strong and attractive to prospective students. They also offer students who demonstrate academic success programs like the Gap Year Global Fellowship and the Morehead-Caine Scholarship.

On top of UNC’s strong academic programs, they also have a strong sense of community, which stems from having Division I sports, specifically football and basketball. There’s no way you’ll graduate without supporting the Tar Heels at least once at the stadium or court.

Want to become a UNC Tar Heel? UNC’s application requires 2 additional supplemental short essays:

Carolina’s supplement will provide you with four prompts, and you will choose two. Each response will be limited to 200-250 words.

Essay Prompt #1: 

Tell us about a peer who has made a difference in your life.

TIP: Choose someone who has made an influence in your life. This person doesn’t have be someone you’re close to or know very well, but he or she should have worked with you, disagreed with you or challenged you to an idea or belief. How did it come about? How was it resolved? 

Essay Prompt #2: 

What do you hope will change about the place where you live?

TIP: How do you want to influence your community or your neighborhood? Is there something you wish was different? Is there something missing that could have improved the quality of life for you and others around you? Choose something that you feel strongly about because you felt a gap in opportunity or fairness from when you were growing up, or for the benefit for the people you care about. 

Essay Prompt #3: 

What is one thing that we don’t know about you that you want us to know?

TIP: This almost seems to good to be true! Remember your college application isn’t just one essay or one test score; it is a collection of all your application materials. So, if you choose this essay prompt, make sure you look at your application holistically and ask yourself is there anything else missing that you have to include in order for them to know who you are as a student and as a person. If there is, that’s your topic! 

Essay Prompt #4: 

What about your background, or what perspective, belief, or experience, will help you contribute to the education of your classmates at UNC?

TIP: This is a slightly different way of asking “Why UNC?”. How does your background, perspective, belief or experience relate to the community at UNC? You need to know a little bit about UNC’s culture and student body to answer that question. So, ask a few UNC students or use our advice search tool to find out more about UNC and how you can be a contributing member of UNC’s student body and future alumni network. 

——

Interested in reading successful essay examples that got students accepted into UNC? Unlock all of them in one go with our curated package.

Our premium plans offer different level of profile access and data insights that can help you get into your dream school. Unlock any of our packages or search our undergraduate profile database to find specific profiles that can help you make an informed choice about where to apply!

aebrennen

Accepted to Yale, UPenn, Davidson, UNC, UMich, Emory, Northwestern, Wake Forest, UVA, UKentucky, William & Mary, Miami OH, Vanderbilt

Passionate about education from the great state of Kentucky.
ChapHill2018

Accepted to UNC, GA Tech, William & Mary, NC State, UGA

Hi. I'm a closeted romantic that loves books and math.
kanec

Accepted to UNC

Alpha Phi Omega Co-Ed Service Fraternity; Pre-Occupational Therapy; Traveler!
LiRui

Accepted to Wake Forest, UNC,

I am currently a student at UNC-Chapel HIll pursuing a BS in Biochemistry.