Ways to Get Around Paying Out-of-State Tuition

Tuition plays a huge role in deciding where students will attend college. With rising costs of going to college, many students are having to focus solely on the financial aid offerings of a school rather than the academics and educational opportunities. For some, this means limiting themselves in-state public schools, in order to only have to pay the in-state tuition. Recently, however, programs have been established that allow students to attend certain colleges in a different state without having to pay the out-of-state tuition.

In certain regions around the United States, close range states have come up with agreements to allow in-state tuition to students living in their common area. Four of these programs include:

New England Board of Higher Education - Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont

Midwestern Higher Education Compact - Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, and North Dakota

Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education - Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming

Southern Regional Education Board Academic Common Market - Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia

Of course, not all schools within these common states allow students to receive in-state tuition. Also, other requirements may need to be made in order to be eligible.

Other programs exist that allow in-state tuition depending on what field you are planning on going into - especially among schools offering health degrees. 

These programs are not the only way to achieve in-state tuition while living out of state. If you live close to the border of another state, you can sometimes be granted in-state tuition by the neighboring state. More drastic measures include declaring yourself independent from your parents and becoming an in-state resident of a different state during college. This involves registering to vote and pay taxes to the new state. You may be able to “live” with relatives from a different state for a period of time prior to college and become available for in-state tuition for that states’ schools.

Don’t limit yourself to schools within your own state because of the cost. You should check with all schools you are interested in to see their policies on in-state and out-of-state tuitions. You can go to your dream school AND get a good deal!

clovescirrus

Accepted to Princeton, Dartmouth, Rice, JHU, UVA, UMD, CMU, Vanderbilt

Princeton class of 2020, choir nerd, lover of language. Writing is my favorite thing to do, and I'd love to help you brainstorm/write/revise.
rodmoretti

Accepted to Columbia, GA Tech, Northwestern, Princeton, UGA

As a part of Princeton Class of 2019, I know how difficult the application process is...I got denied, accepted, and wait-listed to several places. Let me help you find your path to success!

Early Admission Class of 2022 Notification Dates

What date do early decision results start to roll in?College applicants vying for a spot in the Class of 2022 will hear back from their first applications throughout this upcoming week. We’ll update this...

Engineering Summer Academy Program at Penn

Interested in engineering? Take it to the next level this upcoming summer by applying to the Engineering Summer Academy Program at University of Pennsylvania. Engineering Summer Academy at Penn (ESAP) The Engineering Summer Academy at...

5 Questions to Ask Your College Interviewer

Don’t be surprised to open your email and receive an interview invite with one of the colleges you applied to! College interview season is here. While the college interview is not mandatory, if you...