What the Rising Student to Counselor Ratio Means for Education

college counselor helping student
Regardless of time and location, students are always looking for general guidance and academic help. The American School Counselor Association (ASCA) suggests that schools should have a student to counselor ratio of 250:1 in order to maximize effectiveness and get students the help that they need.

However, in 2014, only 3 states were under the recommended student to counselor ratio. The rest struggled to maintain a ratio under approximately double the suggested size. Overall, the United States ratio continues to trend upwards; in 2012, the national average was around 460:1. In 2014, the ratio rose to 491:1.  

So what, exactly, is causing this problem? One study from UMass suggests that it might be a problem of underfunding. With public schools having trouble keeping programs available due to a lack of funding, it inevitably gets harder for students to continue to pursue those areas of study at school. This underfunding is also directly impacting counselors, as available jobs are cut, and current counselors are forced to take on an even larger load of students. Whatever the reason may be, it’s important that counselors continue to be an influence in high schools across the nation. School counselors play a huge role in a student’s life, and it’s crucial that students have personal interactions with them.

Just how much of a problem is the rising student to counselor ratio? As the number increases, more students are losing access to the professionals that can help with the larger educational decisions, like where to apply to college, what classes to take, and what course of study to pursue. Is this question one that should be addressed on a state and federal level? Can education technology companies provide support and find ways to work with counselors in a new way?

Sources: ASCA, US News, NEA Today, Counseling.org, UMass.

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!
ayinUChicago

Accepted to Duke, Brown, NYU, UChicago, UNC, East Carolina, NC State

I'm a class of 2018'er at UChicago studying Economics and Psychology! Super interested in start-ups and economics.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...