Which Ivy League is the Best Fit for You: Columbia Edition (Part 2 of 8)

Let’s continue this 8 part series to find the best Ivy League college fit for you! Up next is Columbia University.

Columbia University

Quick Cheat Sheet

Size: 2,100 per class. This means you won’t know, or even recognize everyone in your graduating class, but you’ll get to know the people in your dorm and department really well.

Cost: Tuition: $55,060. Room, Board & Expenses: $16,529. Most expensive of the Ivies in Tuition, 2nd cheapest in Room, Board & Expenses.

Financial Aid: $140m offered in financial aid grants. Follows the need-based and need-blind application process. International students are evaluated in need-aware basis.

Location: You’re in New York City. There’s so much culture, cuisines, music, neighborhoods to explore, you’ll never be bored. The only concern is you may get too distracted.

Campus: You’re on the streets of New York. Completely walkable.

Weather: You better love the 4 seasons, because you’ll get them all. Be prepared for canceled flights when traveling home for winter break.

Notable Academic Programs: Well-known for their strict core curriculum. Best undergraduate program is engineering.

Student Life: Again, it’s centered around the activities that NYC offers. There is also a presence of greek life and house parties. Check out these 10 fun facts to learn more about Columbia’s history and campus culture.

Overview:

Located in upper Manhattan of New York City, Columbia University is one of the most popular school to apply to. Apart from Harvard, it is the only other Ivy League university located in a major city. It is well known for its rigorous and demanding core curriculum that’s designed to give students a well-rounded education and develop high-level thinking and analysis.

Columbia, too, has strong academic programs all around. This is because Columbia’s Law School, Business School, Medical School, and Journalism Graduate Schools all have a strong faculty and curriculum. The Fu Foundation School of Engineering is probably their strongest department, but Columbia’s Economic and Political Science have consistently been considered the best in the US.

Living in New York City has a lot of perks. You have internship opportunities in a range of different fields, a lot of cultural areas and museums to visit, and can even explore your creative side. However, this can also pose as a huge distraction for college students.

Do you have any other questions about Columbia? Comment below and let us know! We’ll answer any questions you may have and update the post with suggestions. If you are set on applying to Columbia University, make sure to search through profiles of students accepted to see essays, stats, and advice. See how they got in, and how you can too!

Stay tuned for more! Up next is Brown University

Sources: US News, Columbia

sakilan

Accepted to Columbia, Cornell, Macaulay Honors, Colgate, Bryn Mawr, Holyoke, Union, Fordham, Stony Brook, Adelphi, Hofstra, Baruch, Brooklyn College, CUNY City, Hunter, Queens

I just recently graduated high school and will be a freshman at Columbia University. I am a proud Muslim and have a passion for science. If you have procrastinated for the college process, not to worry. I am happy to help and answer any questions!
MichaelR

Accepted to Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, UC Berkeley, JHU, Vanderbilt, Rice, UMich, UCLA, UNC, UT Austin, Washington, Ohio State, UCSD

Midwestern kid who loves molecular biology and electronic dance music. Let me help you edit your essays!
g.reynoso.95

Accepted to Columbia, UPenn, Williams, Brandeis, Vassar, Colgate, Rochester, Hamilton, Fordham, Hunter, Brooklyn College

A recent graduate from Columbia University with a major in Psychology and a minor in Sociology
aim2120

Accepted to UC Berkeley, UCSC, Washington, Northeastern, BU, UMich, Columbia

I am pusuing a BA in visual arts and computer science at Columbia College of Columbia University.

College Tours 101: Everything You Need to Know

With spring break and summer vacation in our horizon, it’s time to discuss when and how to plan a successful college tour. What’s a College Tour? What’s the point?  Let’...

Should You Take a Gap Year?
Should You Take a Gap Year?

Popular among high school students from the U.K. and Australia, gap years give you an opportunity to delay attending college for a year.  While gap years are as varied as the students who...

Common Application Essay Prompts 2018-2019

With another application season behind us, it’s time to move on to the next. Here are the 2018-2019 Common Application Essay Prompts. The Common Application conducts a review process for the essay prompts every 2...