10 Do’s and Dont’s After You’ve Been Accepted To College

Congratulations, #Classof2020! You’ve finally done it! After months of digging into your most inner-self, followed by months of waiting on the edge of your seat, you’ve finally received that college acceptance letter you’ve always been waiting for. Honestly, you should be crushing post-college apps senior year, and we hope you are. 

But just in case you aren’t, everyone can use a pep talk and some reminders before you leave home for campus in the Fall. That’s what this list is for!

1. DO celebrate!

You have every right to celebrate. Go wild! Throw a party, have a fancy dinner, or treat yourself to a mini-vacation. Do whatever you want to do, because you deserve it.

2. DON’T celebrate in your friend’s face.

Getting accepted to college is an achievement you should be proud of, but be considerate of your friends’ feelings. Not everyone has heard back yet, and not everyone has been accepted. You know what it’s like waiting for your first acceptance, so keep that in mind!

3. DO personally thank those who helped you through your application.

Make sure you send thank you notes to your teachers or anyone who wrote your recommendation letters. Let them know how grateful you are, and tell them where you got accepted! Don’t forget to also thank those who emotionally supported you throughout the process as well!

4. DON’T take full credit for your college admission.

Be humble about your college acceptance. Yes, you worked really hard on your application, but acknowledge those that gave you any advice. If you had a college interview, this would be a good time to let them know you were accepted, and say thank you!

5. DO take a breather and just enjoy the rest of high school.

You’ve probably spent the last 3.5 years studying non-stop, participating in every extracurricular activity and volunteering every weekend. Take a breather and allow yourself to get a good night’s rest.

6. DON’T fail out of school.

Slowing down doesn’t mean slamming on the brakes. Do not take your acceptance for granted and stop studying for your AP/IB exams. Finish your high school career strong!

7. DO learn more about the colleges your were accepted to!

If you’ve been accepted to more than one of the colleges you applied to, it’s time to learn even more about them. Find out which school is really the best fit for you. If you can, go to accepted students weekend, meet other students in your class, and experience what student life is like.

8. DON’T just pick the highest ranked school.

A lot of people gravitate towards picking the college that has the highest ranking, and it’s natural to do so, but give it some thought! Prestige may seem important, but consider what truly makes you happy, what you want to study, and what environment you will thrive or grow in.

9. DO make a senior year bucket-list with your friends!

Go make some memories with your high school BFFs! Chances are you’re all going to different colleges all over the country, and you’ll only be able to see each other a few times a year. Make a list of the things you’ve always talked about doing, but never got around to.

10. DON’T neglect family time.

Friends are important, but so is family! You’ll be moving away from home for the first time and you won’t just miss having someone cooking and doing your laundry for you. Make some time for your family, talk to your parents, and hang out with your sibling. If you have a younger sibling, they are going to be the ones that miss you the most (even if they don’t want to admit it!).

Share your #admitstory with us and help others who are interested in your school better understand the application process. Plus, you get to earn extra money for college! What are you waiting for? Create your College Admit profile!

tifstar1997

Accepted to Cornell, CMU, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine

Cornell Engineering '19
SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)

Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...