Ask An Expert: You’ve submitted your ED/EA application. Now what?

This week, our resident expert Joie Jager-Hyman, a former Dartmouth admissions officer and Founder of College Prep 360, addresses the question:

What is your advice for students who have submitted their EA/ED applications? How much time should they spend on regular decision applications if they have a good shot of getting in early?

Here’s a common scenario: a student, let’s call him Henry, is so excited about his first-choice Early Decision school that he spends all of September and October writing and rewriting the common application personal statement and the other supplemental essays required for his ED school.  Henry presses “submit” right before the November 1st deadline and feels so exhilarated at the completion of his first choice application/burned out on college essay writing that he doesn’t want to look at another college application.  Besides, he is fairly certain that his first-choice college would be crazy not to take him considering the brilliant essays he just worked so hard on.

Then comes December 15th and—to his shock!—Henry gets deferred (or worse, rejected).  Now he has two weeks to complete the remaining seven regular decision applications—including ten new essays!  Not only does Henry ruin his and his family’s Christmas and New Years, but now his other applications can never be great because of the time constraint.

Read more: How it feels to get waitlisted

So here is my advice: until you get a letter of acceptance, keep writing those college essays!  If you get into your first-choice school ED or EA, you will never remember the essays that you wrote and didn’t send. You’ll just be happy to go to college.  However, if you don’t prepare for a worst-case situation, you may potentially ruin your chances of going to another great college because you can’t do a great job on 12 essays in two weeks.

You can never win the race if you get off the track early.  Keep your eye on the prize until you cross the finish line.

What to do if you're deferred
Read more: What to do if you’re deferred

Have a question you’d like answered in a following blog post? Let us know in our Contact Us form!

aebrennen

Accepted to Yale, UPenn, Davidson, UNC, UMich, Emory, Northwestern, Wake Forest, UVA, UKentucky, William & Mary, Miami OH, Vanderbilt

Passionate about education from the great state of Kentucky.

Yalie

Accepted to Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Rice, Williams, Amherst, UVA, UNC, W&L U, Rutgers, UVM

Entrepreneurial sophomore Mathematics and Philosophy major at Yale University who also loves the liberal arts.

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...