Yale 2017-2018 Supplemental Essay Prompts

Planning to apply to Yale University this fall? Here are the essay prompts you’ll need to answer to submit your Yale application.

Yale isn’t just another Ivy League. Learn more about the university’s program, environment and campus culture before you decide to apply! Here’s a university overview of Yale.

Yale University’s application is available on both the Common Application and the Coalition Application. Please note that the main essay prompts on the two platforms are not the same. Here are the Common Application’s 2017-2018 essay prompts and the Coalition Application’s 2017-2018 essay prompts.

Short Answer Questions

• Students at Yale have plenty of time to explore their academic interests before committing to one or more major fields of study. Many students either modify their original academic direction or change their minds entirely. As of this moment, what academic areas seem to fit your interests or goals most comfortably? Please indicate up to three from the list provided.

• Why do these areas appeal to you? (100 words or fewer)

• What is it about Yale that has led you to apply? (125 words or fewer)

• What inspires? (35 words or fewer)

• Yale’s residential colleges regularly host intimate conversations with guests representing a wide range of experiences and accomplishments. What person, past or present, would you invite to speak? What question would you ask? (35 words or fewer)

• You are teaching a Yale course. What is it called? (35 words or fewer)

• Most first-year Yale students live in suites of four to six people. What would you contribute to the dynamic of your suite? (35 words or fewer)

Don’t overthink your answers! Be true to who you are and answer these questions honestly. This is where you can let your personality shine through!

Supplemental Essay (Common Application Only)

Please choose two of the following topics and respond to each in 250 words or fewer.

• What do you most enjoy learning?

• Reflect on your engagement with a community to which you belong. How do you feel you have contributed to this community?

• Write on something you would like us to know about you that you have not conveyed elsewhere in your application.

Supplemental Essays (Coalition Application Only)

In 300 words or fewer, write on one of the two essay topics below.

• What do you most enjoy learning?

In addition to writing on your chosen topic, upload an audio file, video, image, or document you have created that is meaningful to you and relates to your essay. Above your essay, include a one-sentence description of what you have submitted.

Both supplemental essay requirements on the Common Application and the Coalition Application are fairly similar. As suggested in one of the prompts, it’s important for you to look at your application holistically. Here are some questions to think about: 

• What have you already emphasized in your personal statement?

• What do your extracurricular activities say about you?

• Which side of you did you show off in the Short Answer Questions?

• Now, what about you is missing in the application?

Still not sure what we mean by that? We’ve put together a package of profiles from the most recently admitted class at Yale! Unlock this Yale 2021 package to view full successful application files and learn how to craft your own:

Our premium plans offer different level of profile access and data insights that can help you get into your dream school. Unlock any of our packages or search our undergraduate profile database to find specific profiles that can help you make an informed choice about where to apply!

fishstark

Accepted to Yale

Studied education & politics at Yale. Looking to make the world better.
yaleaboutit

Accepted to Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Brown, UC Berkeley, Pomona, UCSB, Pepperdine, Wellesley, UCLA, USC

California transplant in the Northeast
lizolat

Accepted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Brown, Dartmouth, WashU, USF, Florida, UCF

My name is Elizabeth, and I am from a small town in Florida. I graduated from Land O' Lakes High School, and am now a student at Yale University. My intended major is Biomedical Engineering with a Molecular Engineering focus, and I am a pre-med student.
corilu

Accepted to Yale, UCLA, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside , UCSD, USC, Case

Hello! I'm an engineering freshman at Yale University and I have a passion for all things food related and history. Let me know if you have questions. :)