10 Fun Facts about Purdue University

Located in West Lafayette, IN, Purdue University is a public research university that attracts large numbers of in-state and out-of-state students, as well as international students around the world. In fact, it has the fourth largest international student population in the U.S. Want to know why Purdue is so popular? Check out these 10 fun facts!

1. “Wanna be on top?” Keith Carlos, the winner of ANTM Season 21 and an active model, is a Purdue graduate! He graduated with a degree in business administration, and was the starting wide receiver for the Purdue Boilmakers.

Bonus fun fact: He was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles and retired after playing with NY Giants due to an injury.

2. Wouldn’t it be great if your university had an airport? Well, Purdue does! It is the first university-owned airport in the U.S.

3. Can you imagine watching a movie without popcorn? Orville Redenbacher, founder of the popcorn that bears his name, graduated from Purdue in 1928 with a degree in Agronomy.

Bonus fun fact: He was also on the Purdue Marching Band and track team!

4. Purdue University is well known for its aerospace program. In fact, it is the first university in the world to offer a 4-year bachelor’s degree in Aviation.

5. Purdue also has good reputation among the space exploration community. Gus Grissom, one of the first men in space, and first & last men on the moon, were all Purdue Alumni! 

6. Know what a rivalry trophy is? The Old Oaken Bucket is a rivalry trophy that the Indiana Hoosiers and the Purdue Boilmaker football team compete for. It goes as far back as 1891! 

7. Purdue has so many things stored away, including Hugh Hefner’s famous Playboy DC-9 aircraft, which is leased from Purdue and stored there permanently.  

8. The famous Amelia Earhart continues to inspire many students at Purdue, as she did 1935, when served as a “Counselor on Careers for Women”.

9. The fact that Purdue university has an airport is already pretty crazy, but it’s actually the second largest airport in Indiana! 

10. The Old Oaken Bucket isn’t the only rivalry trophy the Purdue Boilmakers compete for. There’s also the Cannon Trophy that symbolizes the rivalry between Illinois and Purdue.

Are you looking to apply to Purdue University or just starting to build out your college list? Make sure to search through profiles of students accepted to see essays, stats, and advice. See how they got in, and how you can too!